Thread: Weak signal sometimes

Weak signal sometimes

Sometimes when both computers are on the Internet the signal is weak. The computers are on different floors about 50 ft away from each other.

Access point reached but no connection to Internet or something like that.

Should I get a range expander?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is this wireless? Are there other wireless devices (phones, cycling computers, neighbours with wireless APs)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes it's wireless. The only wireless phone is all the way upstairs.

Neighbors with wireless? No clue.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The phone, particularly if in use, will most likely cause the network to cut out. Most wireless phones are in the 2.4Ghz range.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

So should I get a range expander?

I'm sure many people with wireless networks have a wireless phone as well. Ours is as far away from the computer as possible without throwing it out the window.

What make and model is your wireless access point?

It is true that 2.4ghz phones will cause problems. So will microwaves.

I have taken out all 2.4 ghz phones and replaced them with 900mhz and 5.8ghz phones.
    When the 2.4ghz phones were ringing, the signal would drop and knock us offline. Not a problem when browsing... but when downloading large files or gaming.

My boss has a 2.4ghz phone and wireless. We game online all the time. When he starts kicking my butt... I'll ring his house. It'll knock him off real quick and I have the advantage and can get around him and his spawn killing ass.

I had a belkin 54g router but recently replaced it with a linksys wrt54g loaded up with the sveasoft firmware. I upped the signal from 28mw to 128mw (max is 251mw). That increased our range so we get a "perfect" signal anywhere in the townhouse.

The range expanders aren't always a good solution. They will actually decrease your speed, but give you a better signal. The linksys expander is the one I'm talking about.

With the sveasoft custom firmware on the wrt54g you can have two and "bridge" them, so they act as one. You can also bridge between brands if they support it. For instance, the belkin F5D7230-4 supports WDS repeater mode. So I can have both the linksys wrt54g and the belkin working together if I needed.

Another thing you can do is change the channel it is operating on. Most common are 6 and 11.
    So, if there are a lot of WAPs around you, change to a channel that isn't used as much. You can use netstumbler or your wireless card utility to view other access points around you.

I had one case where a use had installed a linsys router out of box. They didn't change the config or anything. Their card was connecting to their neighbors access point instead of the one in their house. So, the signal sucked. I changed their router config (secured it) and set their default profile to connect to the one in their house.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    My boss has a 2.4ghz phone and wireless. We game online all the time. When he starts kicking my butt... I'll ring his house. It'll knock him off real quick and I have the advantage and can get around him and his spawn killing ass.
    HAHAHA

and he hasnt figured it out yet......

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer