Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anti online

anti online

recently, a head of one of the departments here in the office came over and wants the internet connection on one of her employee's computer to be disconected. she wanted it to be disconnected from the internet bcoz all she do is chat on the YM, or any other chit chat programs and cant do more on office works. is there any way that i can disconnect her internet connection form my server without interrupting the LAN and do a silent disconnection on her internet?
    thanks in advance.
    you can fool some people sumtime...but u cant fool all da people all da time - marley

I'm not sure what you mean about silent disconnection from the internet but why don't u block the mac address of her nic card. That way everyone else still has a connection but hers is gone. Or if it is a problem with her being on instant messengers or the like why don't you block the ports they use.

-= |)ark$ynta>< =-

Does she need network access for anything other than HTTP or chat programs? If so, is there a firewall in place, or a proxy server? If not, you can shutdown her port on the switch, unless you are using wireless or hubs. Then it gets a little more complex.

Need a lot more details as to how your network is setup and how traffic routes across your network. A more accurate answer could be posted with some more details about your setup.

silent disconnection for me means disconnecting her connection from the server without going to infront of her computer. any software to scan my network computers with mac addresses? or commands perhaps..?
    chimp: yes she needs a network address inorder for her to print files needed by a client. there is a firewall but no prpxy server. there is no way i can disconnect her port on a switch bcoz we are using a hub. and we are using DHCP for the network.

am sorry i was just told to do so a minute ago. thanks again chimp & dark5yntax.
    you can fool some people sumtime...but u cant fool all da people all da time - marley

Do you have a firewall in place?

there is. on the server. and an internet security on her computer. i only want to disconnect her internet connection.

Hi,

What operating systems are you using (client & server)?

Does the person need to use a web browser?

Cheers

yes nihil
    am using an XP, both client and server respectively.
    No, she doesnt necessarily need a web browser.

Well,

I am sure you can block a lot with groups/policies & permissions, but you may like to take a look at this tool:

http://imlogic.com/products/imdp_request.asp

IM Detector Pro...............it is supposed to be free

So the problem is that she needs network access to print for clients but you want to remove internet access so she can't chat on an IM all day?

How exactly is your network setup? Is the internet connection running directly into the hub or is it running through some sort of hardware like a router or firewall, or even the server, before it gets to the network segment she's on with the hub?

Also you mentioned you didn't want to go directly in front of her computer? Is it a company computer? If so wouldn't you have access to it after she's gone for the night? You could easily get the mac address off the computer by running ipconfig in xp.

If it's directly connected to the hub then I don't think there's anything you can do without changing settings on her computer to block her from sending data to the internet. A low profile firewall, not something that pops up everytime she tries to get to the internet, would let you block her from getting to the internet without her really knowing why so long as you can restrict access to the firewall software. You could simply not let her send outgoing traffic to any address outside the local subnet or block everything and just allow her to connect to the machines she needs, like the printer. There could be other ways but I don't know of them.

If the connection runs through something that has the capability to block certain traffic, i.e. some form of firewall, then you could just set that up to disallow anything coming from her mac address, this would let her still have access to the local network since you would only be stopping her traffic when something tries to leave the newtork.

Just some suggestions.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you