Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rfid

Banned

Rfid

Here's an article from the "Supply Chain Management Review":

http://www.manufacturing.net/scm/art...l+look+at+rfid

It's interesting, as it is pretty complete - but then again, the only downside mentioned is "customer privacy". Is that really the only downside of RFID's?? How is this diferent from Wi-fi?

Banned
    It's interesting, as it is pretty complete - but then again, the only downside mentioned is "customer privacy". Is that really the only downside of RFID's?? How is this diferent from Wi-fi?
    This isn't a valid comparison.

Wi-Fi: "Either of two different incompatible radio-based LAN protocols, namely 802.11b (which speaks DSSS at 2.4GHz) and 802.11a (which speaks OFDM at 5GHz)." - dictionary.com

RFID: "is a technology that incorporates the use of electromagnetic or electrostatic coupling in the radio frequency (RF) portion of the electromagnetic spectrum to uniquely identify an object, animal, or person." - whatis.com

Wi-Fi being merely a medium will not have customer privacy issues as a rule. Naturally if an organization uses a Wi-Fi network for customer information or connections, then customer privacy would be an issue as well.

RFID enabled objects on the otherhand are not network dependant and broadcast openly to anyone driving by that cares to look.

cheers,

catch

From what I've read about Rfid's is it has the ability to quickly scan lots of inventory.

Instead of warehouses or customers having to scan items one at a time, they can just scan a whole cart through and everythings is scanned at once and recorded into a computer.

About the privacy issue, I think there should be some way to diable the device once it leaves the store. Similiar to those electronic devices on electronic items that make a alarm sound if you leave the store with a item you haven't paid for. Sure that would be possible. Some type of device where the tag is turned off once it is scanned.

I think this technology has the ability to save stores millions of dollars, and has the ability to make shopping a whole lot easier. Just imagine having a cartful of groceries from walmart, and all you have to do is push it past a littel counter, swipe your card and your gone. Now the only thing thats time consuming is bagging everything. lol
    =

Privacy nothin... I'll predict denial of service being a bigger problem.

20 bucks at Radio Shack + a brown paper bag + garbage can + a business dependendent on RFID for inventory = Chaos until garbage day

What happens when RFID chips fail on the shelves? It will register as a theft, and how do you find the failed product on the shelf? (ID's would have to be labeled on each product) If you can't replace the chip, is the former technology in place so you can still sell the failed chip product, or do you throw the product away because you don't have a barcode anymore? (Legacy issues, hopefully you didn't fire all your stockboys or w/e because they were replaced by a RFID device)

We are implementing RFID at my place of employment, and it is working out great so far. As far as privacy, only a barcode number is written to the chip itself. Upon going through security gates, data is sent to the server turning the security bit off for that particular barcode. When a chip fails, which I have not personally seen yet, it just stops broadcasting its barcode number, the chips themselves are a lot like little antennaes. So the server would not neccisarily know that the item was stolen, it just wouldn't even pick up the tag.

The one fault with RFID:
    When used in a grocery store, mos places sell aluminum foil...I will let you use your imagination.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

When a chip fails, which I have not personally seen yet, it just stops broadcasting its barcode number, the chips themselves are a lot like little antennaes. So the server would not neccisarily know that the item was stolen, it just wouldn't even pick up the tag.
    Unless the tag sends out a "#23521351 is dying" broadcast, how is that behavior any different than someone walking out with a item undetected? And how would you find that item on the shelf? Try to think what your workplace's reaction would be to a failed chip even though it may not have happened yet, I'd be interested to know.

In our scenario, the whole basis of the system is based on the fail over rate of the chip. You would not know if a chip has failed. In a grocery store scenario, the item would still have to be scanned over some sort of scanner. You would notice the chip was bunk because scanning would not produce any result. So if you were malicious in intent, you would be taking a gamble on whether or not the security function of the system was going to work. you would have no way of telling the chip was bad, unless you actually tried to scan the barcode first.

From an inventory standpoint this would suck, we will be getting a handheld device that will beep when it comes across on a shelp the item you are searching for, each item in our scenario has a different barcode, none are the same. So if the chip fails, you rely on your vision to find the item in question.
    kr5kernel

Hi kr5kernal,

So if the chip fails, you rely on your vision to find the item in question.
    Vision ?...are you kidding?! Where are we the stone ages...vision, sheeeeeesh! Next you'll be sayin' we ought to pay with cash too! What is this world coming to?!

Sorry kr5kernal...but I just had to! The made me do it!

Eg

You would be suprised how many people dont rely on the basics,

take for instance how you spell my name:

Hi kr5kernal,

hehehe too shay.
    kr5kernel

Hi kr5ernel,

Did I mention that I'm blind and have a braille screen monitor and keyboard?

Eg

So as to not totally corrupt Negative's thread in off-topic ramblings...

Did Walmart ever get it done...

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Commen...3-5072548.html

they've had two years to plan it.

A little closer to now...

http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay.jsp?pressid=434
    [Press Release] RFID in Retail: ABI Research Identifies a Frustrating Disconnection | ABI Research

or...possibly the most interesting of the three...

http://rfidhandbook.blogspot.com/200...-bar-code.html
    The RFID HandBook: RFID vs BAR CODE