Thread: how to activate ethernet card during boot time?

how to activate ethernet card during boot time?

Each time when i reboot the system , have to activate ethernet card (using 'neat' command).
    I've tried to activate my Ethernet Card on the "Networking" window but it just won't stay activated.
    But it works fine after activation.
    i am using Fedora core 3
    Ethernet Card : Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100](as it is shown)
    Thanks in advance for help!

Ethernet Card : Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
    This adaptor is designed as a SERVER adaptor and not intended to be used on a workstation. Go to the Intel web site and download their Boot Agent and LAN manager configuration software. Or simpler yet put a standard ethernet NIC in and place the Expensive Pro100 Server Adaptor in safe and secure place to use in a REAL server later on. This adaptor is configured by default to be connected at all times on a server that is always on. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

aeallison , thank you for ur suggestion.
    But this system is used as personal desktop though i have configured as groupware installation.
    I am looking for script file where i can place the command for activation forever.(something like startup file)

Originally posted here by aeallison
    This adaptor is designed as a SERVER adaptor and not intended to be used on a workstation. Go to the Intel web site and download their Boot Agent and LAN manager configuration software. Or simpler yet put a standard ethernet NIC in and place the Expensive Pro100 Server Adaptor in safe and secure place to use in a REAL server later on. This adaptor is configured by default to be connected at all times on a server that is always on. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Ok Sir, I will quote my own first post where I tell you how to do what you want. See above...

Now I have used a fabulous troubleshooters tool called Google Search and came up with 4 pages of information why you should not use an intelligent server adaptor in a standard PC.

Intel Pro100 Server Adaptor Download Site

Another amazing fact is that this link was the very first one at the top of the search page.

My god man, you can buy a NIC card that will work without all of this configuring and ROM BIOS Flashing crapola at any computer store near you for $15- $20 USD
    The adaptor you are trying to use is designed for Enterprise server applications ONLY

I am not saying that it can't be done, I do it all the time. But if you have to ask the questions you asked only to argue with me about how I am wrong, then you don't have the knowledge required to configure this card to work in your situation. I am also the only person out of thousands that even bothered to give you a straight answer. Does this even give you the slightest idea that maybe it is obvious that you don't have enough sense to follow simple and direct instructions.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?