Thread: what do you think?

what do you think?

i have a idea and would like some opinions on what others think of it... my idea consits of a pci card, some ram, and all the necesitys for a motherboard to run. now im sure you have heard of parelle processing before, now think if you could just stick this card into your computer, install the drivers, and increase the speed of your comp... (note: this isnt my full idea but its the general idea, ive also done my best to copy right it) tell me what you think....

Just Another Geek
    You're not the first one who had that same idea
    The hardware isn't the problem. The trick is writing an OS that can actually use the cards.

http://www.mrtc.mdh.se/publications/0106.pdf

Way back in the good ol' days, you could stick a "BridgeBoard" into your Amiga. A bridgeboard was basicly a complete PC on a card. By adding this to your Amiga you could run PC software on your Amiga without using an emulator.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?dir=bridge
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

well....

i did kinda think about that... i think there is a bit of a loop hole here... as you know parelle processing goes across a net work... but if u have the network card acting as the interface, and and have the cable just loop into the MB's network card all would be set...

Just Another Geek
    as you know parelle processing goes across a net work
    Not necessarily. What you are describing is usually called distributed computing (a la Seti@home).

See Wikipedia:
    Parallel computing systems and Distributed Computing.

But as I said, hardware isn't the problem. The real problem is with software. The OS, compilers and applications all need to be "aware" of the fact it can do multiple things at the same time. Also note that not all applications are able to benifit from it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

good point...

hmmm yeah good point, i see what you mean...