Thread: Writing a program

Writing a program

I will be writing a program for my wife's company. She does have a program written (in VB) but it is outdated. It uses Access'97 for a database.
    I plan on using VC++ 6 and Access 2000. I don't know much about VC++. I did know C++ (many moons ago...) and relearning that part of it shouldn't be too difficult. I don't have any experience with VC++.
    Any advice before I get started ?

Thanks much
    ~Halv

Ninja Code Monkey
    Pick up the book 'Inside COM' if you plan on automating access or using ado. In fact, pick up a book on ado as well (not ado.net).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Just Another Geek
    Make use of ODBC. That way you can switch from Access to SQL server when Access cannot handle it anymore...

But why not import the old program in a new VisualBasic compiler, modify it and recompile?
    Or is it build using VBA (VisualBasic for Applications; the stuff that's build into every Office application)?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Erm, no. Go ADO.

ODBC is a lower level api and isn't exactly the most pleasant thing to work with. Using visual c++ you can easily use the ADO com interfaces to do everything you want with either database with less work.

There are also plenty of examples on the internet. Google is your friend.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Just Another Geek
    Ah. Ok. Learned something I usually don't dabble with VC++. I mostly do my stuff in perl. With perl it's easy to use ODBC with DBI+DBD::ODBC or Win32::ODBC.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.