Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scam or legit... what's your opinion.

Also, to help things on your end, I would try to contact someone who has used their service (Afternic.com) and see if you can get a copy of their appraisal. I would email that person and ask them how they would rate Afternic.com and ask to see the appraisal.

~Halv

It wouldn't hurt as well if you told him that you have had unsolicited offers in the past before you decided to sell...and refused them at that time...and mention how much those offers were for.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    HT:

Since everyone can't seem to let this go I present for you my own little piece of "investigation"... I call it a Google Search.....

Chams Consulting

To: trevorb@toughguy.net
    Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:41 PM
    Subject: Re: Bid on goldencrown.com

Nice scam. You almost seemed like a legitimate buyer. Thanks anyways and good luck ripping someone else off.

In a message dated 4/5/2005 3:37:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, trevorb@toughguy.net writes:

Do you sell a developed site or just domain name? If you don't have a site it's not a problem. I'm mostly interested in domain names without content.

Do you have an appraisal of your domain? I need an appraisal certificate before making an offer. Domain name is an investment for me. I'm going to sell your name later and make a profit. If I overpay I won't be able to make a profit in the future. So I need to know the current market value of your name. I guess your are also interested in getting this figure.

Please note that I don't trust free or cheap appraisals. So we cannot accept appraisal from each and every site.

Earlier I had a bad experience with Afternic.com. I also found the following information about them.
    http://forum.icann.org/nsi2001/3AC75D7900000305.html

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies in a forum.
    http://domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/11076.htm
    Juck check this posting.

After I verify an appraisal from you we'll continue our negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: www.PayPal.com, www.escrow.com, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.
    Recognize the email?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did anyone ever get the specific name of this type of scam? It's pretty unique and doesn't fall into the typical category...

Thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I believe it'll be classified as a Domain Name Appraisal Scam. There seems to be a variety of Domain Name Scams:

Domain Name Registration (aka Registration poaching)
    Domain Name Selling
    Domain Name Buying (might be combined with Imaginary competitors who are "identified" as having your trademarked product as a FQDN)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage