Thread: Ethics in security policy

Ethics in security policy

Abstract: Information security professionals develop, communicate and enforce security policy in organizations. Ethical decision-making plays a role in each of these tasks, as it does in any endeavor that pits behavior rules against actual behavior. Policy developers should make an effort to ensure that policies strike a balance between protection of the organization and the rights of employees. Managers in charge of policy dissemination and enforcement should be encouraged to act in ways that maintain ethical interaction between the organization and the employee. Finally, the organization should be willing to re-evaluate policies that fail to treat employees ethically. From development through implementation and review, ethics should influence every decision made in the lifecycle of information security policy. Introduction
    For full reading visit
    http://www.cpsr.org/act/contest/4wi2
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... what I think is more interesting is the Contest they are having:

CPSR is committed to educating the public and our profession on the social implications inherent in today's information technology. The CPSR Essay Contest is intended to further that commitment, by encouraging faculty members to integrate topics of social responsibility of information technology into their coursework, and encouraging students to consider the issues effecting their lives.
    Students will be awarded prizes and have their work published!

The deadline is June 1, 2005.

Send Contest entries to:contest@cpsr.org

CPSR is looking for papers that will advance its work over the year within its Working Groups and interests:

* Privacy & Civil Liberties
    * Computers in the Workplace
    * Women in Computing
    * Voting Technology
    * Working in the Industry
    * Community Networks
    * Free/Libre Software
    * Internet Governance
    * Intellectual Property
    * Computers and the Environment
    * Technology & Ethics
    * Participatory Design

Note: We are in the process of updating our web site. For more information on these issues and working groups, please visit the Working Group archives and the Issues archives. Thanks.
    Rules
    Papers must be the original work of students enrolled at accredited schools during the time that the paper is written, and not previously published.

Papers may be dual purpose in that they satisfy a class requirement.

A faculty member from the student's school must be willing to certify that writers were enrolled during the time that the paper was written, and that, to the best of their knowledge, the work is original.

Faculty do not need to agree with the paper's conclusions.

Required Format
    Papers should be no more than 2,500 words in an easily email-shared format among Macintosh and PC software (i.e. text only or Word).

Papers may include text and graphics.

The body of the paper must not identify the author, sponsor, or school, so that judging is performed entirely anonymously.

Required Separate Cover Sheet Information:
    Title, Author Name, Address, Phone Number, Email, Author School Affiliation and Status (undergraduate or graduate) Sponsor Name, Address, Phone Number, Email, and Abstract.

The body and separate cover sheet should be sent to contest@cpsr.org with the name of the appropriate Working Group, Topic, and/or Title as the Subject
    (see below for essay suggestions).

Judging
    Judges will be members of the appropriate CPSR Working Group or general membership.

Judges cannot submit or sponsor papers for the Essay Contest during the year.

The author of the paper judged most relevant to CPSR, with strong content and style, will be published on CPSR's web pages and awarded $200.

Authors of other meritorious papers will be published on CPSR's web pages and awarded $100.

And still others of merit may be published on CPSR's web pages and receive a free year of membership.

These selections are the final judgment of CPSR.

A paper may be withdrawn from the contest by the author up to the time that it is scheduled for publication. After that time, it may not be withdrawn.

Deadline for submissions is June 1, 2005.

Judgments will be made in August 2005.

This contest may be repeated next year.

CPSR can terminate the contest at any time, and can stop accepting papers for any period of time.

CPSR is not responsible for saving papers, or following up or responding to participants.

Entries not meeting contest requirements will not be considered.

Participating students and faculty may join or renew their memberships in CPSR for one year for $15 and $25, respectively.

CPSR Membership Form
    Suggested Topics/Questions

Community Networks Working Group

How can community networkers around the world (in both developed and developing countries) work more efffectively as a cooperative network to help gain increased legitimacy, build financial sustainability and foster inclusion and democracy?

Cyber-Rights Working Group

How will digital technologies affect copyright in the long run, and what effects will the changes have on public access to information and culture?

Education Working Group

Although technology offers a very broad range of possibilities for improving education, there is also a risk that we may lose sight of our educational goals as we focus on developing new techniques. What important opportunities exist for educational technology and what challenges might prevent these opportunities from being realized? What dangers accompany relying on technology to support learning without attending sufficiently to the underlying educational vision, and how can we diminish those dangers?

Computing and the Environment Working Group
    1. Should the US Implement Mandatory Recycling of Hazardous Electronic Waste?
    2. The Environmental Impact of Telecommuting
    3. The Life-Cycle Environmental Impact of Computing: Manufacture, Use, and Disposal Law Working Group
    Where do you think technological evolution and law will clash over the next few years ?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Interesting...i will have to submit a couple of my papers

Sounds to me like they are fishing for free research and papers with just the potential of maybe giving you a prize. Wow. I can write a paper and get a free 15$ membership.. let me go get working on that!!! Even 200$ is a pretty low price to pay for good publishing material.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Ethics are subjective, thus, so are policies. That said, it's extremely difficult to write an effective policy that does not fall into subjective interpretation at some level. I face this beast everyday.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I'd be curious what happens to the ownership rights of submitted papers. I haven't been to the site...does it say? I didn't notice anything in MsM or MMKAHNs quotes.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    zencoder, their copyright policy is:

"Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility", "CPSR", "Technology is driving the future... it's up to us to do the steering.", "Norbert Wiener Award for Social and Professional Responsibility", "Participatory Design Conference", "PDC", "Directions and Implications of Advanced Computing", "Directions and Implications in Advanced Computing", and "DIAC" are trademarks of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.

The contents of this web site are copyright © 1987-2005 Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility. Some rights reserved . Free for noncommerical use with attribution. For any other uses, please contact cpsr (a) cpsr.org for permission.

Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
    The Creative Commons Deed might give you a better idea.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Ok, thats a bit more reassuring. I'm very familiar with Larry Lessig's work on the Creative Commons (I'm a big fan and closet supporter.) I was unsure if they posted (and adhered to) this sort of license.

Personally, that's the biggest reason behind my (currently offline) site...to post works that I create, with a CC license, before they go ANYWHERE else, so they are available and recorded at that location with those licensing formats. Not that I have hardly anything available there yet, really, but its the framework for future things.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore