Tumbleweed - best SPAM solution?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbleweed - best SPAM solution?

Question Tumbleweed - best SPAM solution?

We're about buying a SPAM filter for our Enterprise.
    We got roughly 1500 users.
    Right now testing out a hardware appliance called Tumbleweed.
    Seems to be pretty good. A few SPAM emails are getting through though...

Anyone out there with experience using this device, or any other device you think might be as good or better?

Thanks!

I have only used home grown solutions, so I cannot comment on the particular product.

What I will mention is that whatever means you use as you approach 100% exclusion rate, you will also get more false positives.

Now, that is probably OK for private users, but in a commercial environment it may be unacceptable, depending on what you use your mail for. I would say if you block 97% that is about as good as it will get.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You will find that unless you use a system that limits email to only acceptable users/domains then spam will get through in "waves".

If you allow mail from all domains then the spammers will change their tactics and stuff will some through until the system learns, is taught or is updated.... It's a fact of life.

I have found that a single anti-spam solution is insufficient. I use several different, unrelated, systems and have been _relatively_ successful in keeping the crap out.... But you won't stop it all.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

www.mailarmory.com
    I have set a few clients up with this mail washing service and have recently started one of my domains on it.
    It has AV and AntiSPAM filtering and does a great job.
    One of the features I liked about the service is that each user can easily choose their own level of tolerance from a scale of 1 to 10, they can create their own white and black lists , as well as personally review captured email intended for them and choose how to process any false positives as needed.

I also like the fact that you can have the service reject all mail sent to your domain that does not have an address defined. This type of mail taxes your servers more than any legit mail buy a huge percentage.

It requires an mx record change as they become the primary mail exchanger and they make the direct delivery to your mail servers. You can of course list your servers down the line to ensure delivery in the event of problems with the service.

They have special pricing for corps and ISPs.

It's a nice compliment to an existing corporate AV install.

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions about it...

SGS

AO Senior Cow-beller
    My current client has been happy with an older version of Trend Micro's email filtering software...inbound and outbound. Tiger has of course made the golden statement. Defense in Depth is the only way to go. Ogres^N^H^H^H^H Anti-Spam Solutions are like Onions. They have layers.

(+2 karma for cheesy Shrek psuedo reference)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

sometime lately,i've been working with my buddies to create the most efficient spam filter(i guess).i' gonna post the address here sometime in the forseeble future.hope you all will be supportive
    buat baik berpada-pada,buat jahat jangan sekali

AO Senior Cow-beller
    "the most efficient spam filter"

Hmmmmm. Mighty big claim there. However, we won't pre-judge (at least I won't.) Look forward to seeing your offering.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

You can also try Sophos PureMessage
    http://www.altcomp.com/fw/main/Pure_Message-1564.html

Joseph

Thumbs up

Wow!
    That was a whole bunch of good suggestions!
    Thanks all!
    (Woulda given you Anti-Points, but I guess I can't because of my status.. heh!)

Mailarmory that ss2chef recommeded sounds really interesting. We absolutely need a solution that will give the end user the option to customize the filters.
    We have already been looking at one big solution, IronPort, which obviously is used by a bunch of big companies, but it won't let your users do any individual config at all.

So what we are looking for is low price, end user customizable, and as effective filter as possible.

ss2chef, would you have any price estimate at all, for what 1500 users migt cost a month/year? We are right now pretty happy with the Tumbleweed offer and their price $10000 for installation, and then $3500/year. (I think it was) So if any other product could compete with that price, let me know! (btw, we are a College, if that makes a price difference?!)

Thanks to you all again!

I concur that a layered solution is the best.
    I've been looking into ASSP recently. It's THE spam proxy. You might want to check it out.
    http://assp.sourceforge.net/
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson