Thread: "Traps" in Win2k

"Traps" in Win2k

Didn't know where exactly this fit in, so I put it here. For My Microsoft Certifiaction Class(I'm on server, other students on pro), I have to set up "traps", as the teacher reffered to them. Basiclly, I have to find stuff to mess with their accoutns and the computer for them to fix, and am running out of ideas, I am going to mess with the bios, and screw with the mbr, and disable their accounts, but other than that, their is nothing I can think of, they aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box, I don't know whether or not they can fix the bios or the mbr...any ideas anyone???

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    To confirm :
    you are going to screw up PC's for a test ?

One I liked was to replace RAM with less, make it less than required to boot.
    Simple, but kept me snarly for a whole day

To screw the accounts :
    Are you going to change permissions etc ? [no print / install etc]
    As you are in a class environment, do you re-image for each session ?
    Otherwise if you are TOO good, it's YOU who will have to put right the damage.
    Don't forget to keep a record of what was done where ..................
    Do you get to mess their systems when they are out of the room ?
    Or is it all going to be a S/W attack ?

I loved it when our systems were messed up by the teachers at the course I attended. [bar the bloody RAM fiasco, of course ]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is it just MS based or can you mess with hardware? (Sounds like a troubleshooting class).

If you can mess with hardware, a little "clear" nail polish on some of the connectors for video/ram can do amazing things (I've actually been told by a student that the motherboard was dead when in fact it was the video and cache being "toast"). You can safely remove the nail polish with a non-acetone nail polish remover.

What about removing ntldr? replacing the SAM? infecting the machines with lots of "old" viruses (it's amazing what happens when you have something like 10 of them in one machine)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Exclamation

Just an idea,

If they are on a network:
    Go into local policy on each machine, setup the interactive logon as "Guest" (not classic logon), and remove their passwords (don't disable the accounts).
    Then on the server:
    Disable the Guest account, remove their passwords and remove the "everyone" account from the main "C:" share.
    Then get them to access the C:\ share on the server from the workstations (allow them to inspect the server too, event viewer is okay but not change logs)

If done right (not sure I gave you the correct order), here's what will happen.

They won't get server access.
    [You go on a coffee break.]
    They will find and fix the local password problem
    They won't get server access
    [You come back from coffee break]
    They will find and fix the server password problem
    They will find and fix the "everyone" group association.
    [You return to your coffee break]
    etc..etc...
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

If you can mess with hardware, a little "clear" nail polish on some of the connectors for video/ram can do amazing things (I've actually been told by a student that the motherboard was dead when in fact it was the video and cache being "toast"). You can safely remove the nail polish with a non-acetone nail polish remover.
    Nail polish is tricky enough but not an actual field problem. A field problem would be, take a separate video cable (for monitors that aren't permanently attached to a cable), find a pair of needle nose pliers and twist around and pull out only ONE video pin on one end only. Put the cable on the monitor and turn the computer off. Let them boot it up and troubleshoot. It simulates a defective cable. But make them find the cause. Most people won't notice the single missing pin.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

emulate a dead CMOS BAttery, a little plastic under the cmos battery.. not visable.. but can prevent many machinse from booting..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Nail polish is tricky enough but not an actual field problem.
    Wasn't meant to indicate a field problem but simulate hardware failure if you don't have enough "broken" pieces (e.g., lemon video, shorts, etc.)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If it is hard ware i like the old sticky tape over the connecters on the video card/ram etc.

muck around with permissions
    move necessary files required for bootup
    move necessary files that programs need to run
    install a virus
    disable services that are needed
    disable drivers loading at start up so that specific hardware wont work properly

hope some of these help
    remove drivers like video drivers/sound drivers etc

Sometimes it is just fun to mess with their minds?

http://www.freewarehome.com/

Second section on the left "desktop"..............take a look at "pranks"

It will make it a lot more difficult if they are not sure if it is a joke or a problem