Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Jumpdrives

Question USB Jumpdrives

Got a quick question about USB Jumpdrives. How are people here, that manage a large network, controlling the use of jumpdrives on their networks? Jumpdrives have gotten to the point where a gig of data, code, whatever can walk out the door. I have been asked to look into this issue (in an effort to control it) but I am not sure where to start or where to look.

Any thoughts?

Cheers:
    DjM

you could disable the USB ports on the computers. I know that is the solution many companies have gone to.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by XTC46
    you could disable the USB ports on the computers. I know that is the solution many companies have gone to.
    That option is available, however, a lot of our "techies" use jumpdrives for troubleshooting so I don't want to limit them. I am trying to keep a "disgruntled" employee or consultant from walking out with data. Is there someway to "password protect" the ports?

Cheers:
    DjM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Disable them in BIOS and Password protect it?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Are you using AD? Create a GPO that restricts use of these except for authorized users.

http://forums.susserver.com/index.php?showtopic=2067
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Disable them in BIOS and Password protect it?
    Like I said Tiger, they are needed for troubleshooting, and to kill them in the BIOS will hamper the 'techies' (and you know how the are). While it might work for a while I am going to hear nothing but **** and at any point they (techies) will enable them and leave them enabled.

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Are you using AD? Create a GPO that restricts use of these except for authorized users.

http://forums.susserver.com/index.php?showtopic=2067
    No AD, Novell shop.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a side note, I hear this topic come up a lot. People are very fearful of these thumb drives, but all of their machines have CD-RWs on them and they don't bat an eye at allowing users full access to them. Not that CD-RW's don't have useful purposes in a business environment, but thumbdrives do too. I guess this just goes in the balancing of security over usability.

edit: and just noticed after almost a year I'm finally at 100 posts.

Well, in Defence we don't allow jump drives and any writeable media except for an elite few..........and a positive security vetting takes some time

As for the self-styled techies..................I would just tell them to "p1$$ off and get a life, or understand your job and the technical alternatives"...............but there again I always was a smooth talking b*****d

They only want them to look kewl................

just my £0.02 (USD 0.0375)