Thread: need help with my flat panel monitor

need help with my flat panel monitor

Last year I recieved a Silicon Graphics 1600SW from my brother who picked it up from an auction. The problem is that I'm stuck with using the video card it came with and I really want to upgrade. The connector on the monitor isn't XVGA. In fact, it's a connector I've never seen in my life. The best I can describe it is to say it looks like a SCSI.

Does anyone know if there's a conveter out there?

If not, is there anywhere that I can go to purchase a stronger video card. I'm not expecting to do any gaming, I have my CRT for that. However, I do feel I need a bit more power out of my system.

Thanks in Advance

warriorfan808

Old Fart
    Look at this and see if it's what you need.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks for the help man. I did some research of my own and found out it uses a connection called, "Open LDI Standard". I also found out the SW part of the name means, "Super Wide", which actually makes sense because the monitor looks like a mini widescreen monitor. In order to take advantage of the wide screen, I need to find a video card that can support 1600 X 1240 resolution. I'll do some more research.

If any of you has one of these, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

warriorfan808

I do feel I need a bit more power out of my system
    I don't quite understand what you are saying, what do you mean by "power"

What you must appreciate is that you have some obsolete equipment there, and are pretty much limited to "going with what you've got"

A bit like Betamax and Philips 2000 video systems (anyone remember them )

You would need a Silicon Graphics "Multilink Adapter" (they don't make them anymore) then you could use more or less any graphics card that supports custom resolution and refresh rates.

This machine has an nVidia GeForce4 MX420 card (64Mb) which will do that. I am sure that there are many others.

Good luck

nothing beats free man. I'm planning on doing some video editing with my home system. Looking at using Pinnacle Studio 9 and do some home video converting. I just don't want to get bogged down by the video card coming with my system. A friend of mine is going to give me his old Radeon 9300 so I was hoping to use that. Haven't looked up the resolution just yet, but like I said, can't beat free. I'll probably just use my home box for a little vid editing and running Visual Studio C++.

I found site that sells that Multi Link adapter, but at an extremely high price. At that price, I might as well just buy a new monitor.

thanks for the help

Betamax and Philips 2000 video systems (anyone remember them )
    why do you want a couple of working models? or would you prefer perhaps a U-Matic or two? none of these were built after 1979.. I havent checked for a year or ten but they were working last time I checked..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr