Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Writer is frozen?

DVD Writer will not recognize DVD-R

Ok when i try to burn one of my dvd's on my HP DVD Writer 400c and asks me to insert disk. I put in a DVD-R and it wont recognize it, acts like nothing is there. However if i put in a DVD+R it works just fine and burns with no errors. I just went out and bought 100 DVD-R's and i would really like to use them b/c i like them better. I dont know what kind of a log to run to show u some stats of my system, but i searched Google for my problem and i found this forum

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/103822

This shows a similar error, and how to fix it. I went through the steps of uninstalling the primary and secondary IDE controllers, but no luck.
    I was hoping to get some input from you guys, i appreciate any information you can give.

Wow lol, found the problem
    First of all, my disk tray says dvd400i. My device driver says dvd400c. One of them are only dvd+R and not dvd-r, so im pretty sure i got the + only.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I've seen this problem with a Sony DVD burner at the office.
    It happened a while ago, so I don't remember the type of DVD it was.
    The end result was that we could only use that one type of DVD.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

That is the unfirtunate thing about DVD writers. I have found only one device that was in my budget AND covered all of the bases when it came to DVD media including DL-DVD and that was the NEC 2510 series. The only bad part is that I heard it has a high failure rate. (I, however, did not get a bad one so my works flawlessly. )
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Yup Yup. It depends on what kind of writer you have. My old DVD writer only supported -r.

I just got a NEC 16x DVD RW ND-3500 that will burn +/- and dual layer discs.
    http://www.nec.co.uk/DVD_RW_ND3500.aspx

It was pretty cheap too... only $80 at a computer show I recently went to.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

thanks for the input

DVD Writer all the sudden wont work..?

I have been using my DVD writer not alot, but a good amount latley and it has been working just fine. It is a HP DVD writer 400c +R only. All of the sudden when i put any disk in it, it freezes up. The green "thinking" light is solid and doesnt go away, and when i go to my computer and try to open the disk from there, it freezes and i have to alt-tab and end task. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

ok, it was working just fine and now it wont recognize any blank media. It reads dvd's and cd's, but when i put blank media in the green "thinking" light comes on and stays on solid. When i am prompted to put blank media in on Shrink it just keeps searching like nothing is there. When i go to my computer and click on my dvd writer to open up blank media it locks up. Anything?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    What operating system is it? Windoze 98, Xp, ...........? Did you do any updates lately?

Its XP and it has service pack 2