Thread: Anti Virus Solution how important?

Post Anti Virus Solution how important?

I;m rather new here, and would like to know if anyone can find a purpose in deploying an anti virus solution if you have the option of removing the cd+floppy drive from the comp+set os restrictions on downloading files from the internet and restricting the installation of programs.
    Securecom

becasue os restrictions only prevent the users from doing it, most malcious products can get around that restriction. Also because al lot of people use USB jumpdrives instead of floppy/cd now. Most download restrictions dont stop email bugs either.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

In my personal opinion it would just be much easier and more convinient if you set up a limited acount ....

Not allowing the person to change certain settings ,installing software, or even prohibiting from deleting certain files.. That just might keep them from accidently downloading something which contains malware or a virus ....

Also educating yourself and other users who are not as computer literate as you is a good idea. ...

For example :
    1) Do NOT open or view any attachment or file in email that you are not expecting.
    2) NEVER open any files with a double file extension, (e.g. iloveyou.txt.vbs)
    3) Avoid downloading executables or documents from the internet. But if you choose to well make sure that it's a from a trusted source.

Things like that ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Old Fart
    Unplug it, put back in the box and stick it in the closet....that's the only sure-fire solution that I know of to remain virus free....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

allen,
    You could also burry it, cut the power cord with a pair of scisors with metal handles WHILE IT IS POWERED ON, throw it in a swimming pool. etc.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

compsecure,

W E L C O M E ... T O ... A O !

I;m rather new here, and would like to know if anyone can find a purpose in deploying an anti virus solution if you have the option of removing the cd+floppy drive from the comp+set os restrictions on downloading files from the internet and restricting the installation of programs.
    -Even if you have the strictest procedure in a BoX, AV (AntiVirus) provides many EXTRA security features that could help secure the BoX more.

Some of the AV's solution and feature to be considered:

1. Shield (AUTO-PROTECT) - most of the time this feature helps if ever (l)user had accidentally downloaded a file or clicked a bad web page with malicious script. Common web-based e-mails (i.e. Yahoo! & MSN/hotmail) have option for detection of known viri in attachments before allowing you to download it. Even if your BoX is strict about your above-mentioned restrictions, there are still web sites that even if you don’t download anything, the script included in it is actually capable of running nasty codes that could exploit your BoX if you don’t have an updated AV, Anti-malware (AM) and/or FIREWALL installed.

2. On the other hand, Nowadays, like XTC46 had mentioned, USB jumpdrives is the standard removable media in later environments. FLOPPY's and CD's are now classic to date. For securing or disabling USB jumpdrives, (this thread could help you start with HOW-TO’s - http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=disabling+usb ). Simply disabling CD and FLOPPY drives is not enough, if USB ports are there, it is a matter of seconds to slip in a USB drive in there and do the rest. Try to check out the thread for securing the USB.

3. AV’s and AM’s (like mentioned above) should always be updated. Most of these Security Programs have the update option that you can use to keep it updated. An out-of-date AV or AM is useless against latest known threats. If you will deploy an AV and/or AM, better choose the one with auto-update capability (most of it actually) and consider reviewing which is which that fits your environment.

4. Lastly, just to add up to security (since you talk about restrictions in a BoX), if you don’t have a HARDWARE FIREWALL yet, you might consider installing a SOFTWARE FIREWALL (Zone Alarm, Sygate PF, etc.) to have an added protection.

Most of the above I mentioned, you could find a fair review here in AO, just search for it and you’ll find amazing stuff and opinions about such AV, AM or FIREWALL to promote a better and added PROTECTION and RESTRICTIONS in your BoX (es).

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

compsecure,

Don't underestimate the abilities of virri makers and maleware folks, the know stuff more than you imagine..... Even if you removed CD/Floppy drives... those are relatively old mediums... the most recent one is the internet.... even with no privileges SOME can install things on your computer.....

NEVER EVER think that there is something supplants an AV... Keep it updated and enjoy

Advice: To keep your computer virus-free.... install a fresh copy of your OS.. and then keep your computer shut and NEVER EVER turn it on...
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster