Thread: Fake Microsoft security updates circulate

Fake Microsoft security updates circulate

FAKE M$ Security Updates

Source – ZDNet Security News
    Read more here >>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5660042.html
    Fake Microsoft security updates circulate
    By Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com
    Published on ZDNet News: April 8, 2005, 7:40 AM PT

An e-mail campaign designed to lure people to a bogus Microsoft Web site is making the rounds as part of an attempt to install a Trojan horse, antivirus company Sophos said Friday…

…But should unsuspecting users download the bogus patches, they will infect their computers with the Troj/DSNX-05 Trojan horse, according to Sophos. That, in turn, will let the attackers remotely take control of the infected PC…

…Microsoft has posted a notice on its site saying that on Tuesday it will issue some critical patches for Windows, Office, MSN Messenger and Exchange…
    - Another tricky way to spread BAD HORSE.

If you want to see if an update is real, you need to go to the real Microsoft Web site and check there."
    - Either rely on AUTOMATIC UPDATE or visit M$’s web site.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Oh far out..

I was only jokeing that there wasnt this sort of Phish method.. I know swen and varients sent an email pertaining to have a MS patch attached..

dunno why it hasent been done sooner..(unless of course I have had my head so far up some pc's rear end to have read about it)

Well the warning is still:

MS, Norton, McAfee don't email customers Patches
    IF you recieve an email from your bank (now MS, Norton, McAfee) sending you to a site to fix what ever problem..DON'T click the link instead use your normal Bookmarked/favourites Link..
    .. Strangers dont email love letters Virus's do...
    .. Be Very very suspicious of any attachment you recieve via email.. Save to HDD then scan with your freshly updated anti-virus prog. BEFORE you bother to open the attachment files..
    ... IF your useing Outlook or outlook express (some just have to) TURN OFF THE PREVIEW OPTION..

(don't know how to change settings mentioned..please ASK)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They know

One matter that I had observed with these virus/trojan writers, THEY KNOW WHEN THE PARTY GET STARTED or at least they know when to move in advance. Since the Security Update of M$ will be released later this week, this move of fooling users to get the update in advance could really fool some if they are (again) not aware of such scam (even in SECURITY UPDATES).

TRICKY, BOGUS, FAKE, whatever we can call it, things like this still FOOL some people who are prone to CLICK-FIRST-ASK-LATER-WTF-HAVE-I-DONE (always excited about e-mails). Not to mentione some will really forward such WRONG info to friends. LoLz.

So, what could we do, SPREADING THE WAYS on how to prevent and avoid it.

On a side note, whenever I received some BOGUS e-mail from a friend, I bother replying to them that "IT IS NOT TRUE", "REASEARCH MORE", or EVEN SEND THEM VALID LINK FOR REAL INFO ABOUT THE SUBJECT (Most of the time I use various AV's website as resource of the FACTS) ETC ETC. just to keep them away from FORWARDING SUCH WRONG INFO. Sometimes, I am getting tired of it reminding them over and over again.

Yo!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Scratch.

Tell them what I tell my friends and family: Microsoft is NOT that service oriented to send an email updating you on the latest fix.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Scratch.

Tell them what I tell my friends and family: Microsoft is NOT that service oriented to send an email updating you on the latest fix.
    -LoLz! If you are a premium member, I guess they will do everything to please you as a customer (just a thought ).

Yo!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    And how many of your friends and family are "premium" members?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I believe that everyone have to be extremely skeptical about the content of unknown-senders email.

Oh! I still know people that can't resist the seduction of email that have enticing subjects.. they just open it and follow the links....
    For those who can't hold themselves back from opening email.. and open them pleasuerly.... I always tell them to never open such email on sensitive-data computer... just open it on a secondry computer without any admin privileges.....

For Outlook and outlook express.... I usually use them to read emails in the Plain-text mode... this is better, I believe.

I think Und3ertak3r has it died on.... nice notices mate!

MS Premium members, is there any???? I think now onw could reach this level but Bill..... lol

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

SUPPORT

- No friends and families. But my previous company back in the Philippines really receives updated support on the products (including SECURITY/TECHNICAL ISSUES AND UPDATES) that had been purchased (MS Win2000 Server/Pro and SQL 2000).

MS Premium members, is there any???? I think now onw could reach this level but Bill..... lol
    - Visit here for more details - http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/alerts.mspx.

You can even subscribe to services like:

MSDN Flash
    A bi-weekly newsletter featuring developer news, events and information.

Microsoft At Home and At Work
    Signup for our free, monthly e-mail newsletter that keeps you up-to-date with news and information that can help you get more out of your computer, both at home and at work. Available in text and HTML formats, the newsletter is a convenient way for you to stay up-to-date on the latest ways to make living with your computer and mobile devices more fun and productive.

Windows Platform News
    A bi-weekly newsletter to help business managers, IT pros, information workers, and consumers get the latest information about the Windows platform.

Exploring Windows XP
    A bi-weekly newsletter with announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home, at the office, and on the go.

Inside Office Newsletter
    Get the most out of Microsoft Office with the latest news and tips in this monthly e-mail.

Microsoft Partners Newsletter
    The Microsoft for Partners e-newsletter will deliver up-to-date information on the sales and technical readiness materials available on the site. The site is targeted at all Microsoft partners and will focus on delivering information that will help them run and grow their business via Microsoft products and services.

Microsoft in Government
    Keep current on what Microsoft is doing to help U.S. federal, state & local government customers achieve success through the use of technology. This monthly newsletter delivers information on issues, training, services, products and events exclusive to the federal, state and local government community.

MCP News Flash
    A monthly news brief of Microsoft certification program updates, including exam announcements and special promotions.

Microsoft: This Week!
    Microsoft: This Week! is a weekly newsletter highlighting Microsoft's top new products, contests, advice, tips and free downloads.

TechNet Flash
    A bi-weekly newsletter for the Information Technology professional - bringing you information and highlights on technology issues, trends and events from Microsoft and our Partners.

Microsoft Business Newsletter
    For business decision makers, a monthly newsletter highlighting the latest news and resources on using Microsoft products, technologies, and partners to help solve your line-of-business challenges.

Microsoft Hardware Newsletter
    News for manufacturers and developers about beta and final product releases, specifications for new technologies, and updates to the Windows Hardware and Driver Central web site.

WinHEC News
    News for hardware engineers, driver developers and software developers about the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), a premier event for the Windows hardware industry. News for hardware engineers, driver developers and software developers about the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), a premier event for the Windows hardware industry.

WHQL and Windows Logo Program Testing News
    Program announcements, event dates, test errata, and other critical information for OEMs and IHVs who need to get their drivers signed and are testing their hardware to qualify for the "Designed for Windows" logo.

Microsoft Security Notification Service
    Microsoft's monthly Security Notification Service provides links to security-related software updates. The goal of this service is to provide accurate information you can use to protect your computers and systems from malicious attacks. These bulletins are written for IT professionals and contain in-depth technical information.

Executive E-mail
    Communication from Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and other Microsoft executives.

Microsoft Security Update
    Geared toward home users and small businesses, these monthly alerts notify you when Microsoft releases an important security bulletin or virus alert and explain, in nontechnical terms, when you might need to take action to guard against a circulating threat.

Microsoft Small Business Newsletter
    The Small Business Newsletter contains news, advice and special product offers for small-business and mid-market business owners.

Microsoft Security Newsletter
    This monthly newsletter is the authoritative information source for understanding the Microsoft security strategy and priorities. Written for IT professionals, developers, and business managers, it provides links to the latest security bulletins, FAQs, prescriptive guidance, community resources, events, and more.

Microsoft Security Newsletter for Home Users
    This bimonthly newsletter offers easy-to-follow security tips, FAQs, expert advice, and other resources that help you enjoy a private and secure computing experience.

Microsoft Security Notification Service: Comprehensive Version
    The Comprehensive Updates version serves as an incremental supplement to Microsoft's Security Notification Service. It provides advance notification of upcoming security bulletins and timely notification of any minor changes to previously released Microsoft Security Bulletins. These notifications are written for IT professionals and contain in-depth technical information.

Microsoft in Government - Worldwide
    Microsoft in Government provides information specifically geared to public sector agencies worldwide. Offers insight into the current issues and solutions in the public sector, case studies and events are explored, white papers discussed, and active partners profiled.

Windows Digital Documents Platform Team News
    A periodic newsletter targeted to ISVs, IHVs and IT professionals who develop and use printing and imaging devices and software. Timely information for the people who need to be kept informed about the latest developments in and directions of digital document technologies to do their jobs most effectively.

Microsoft Business Solutions Sales Professional Community Newsletter
    As part of the Microsoft Business Solutions Sales Professional Community, Certified Account Executives and Customer Sales Managers will receive the Sales Professional Community newsletter which will proivde you with program news and updates as well as training details.

Tablet PC News - ISV Edition
    Tablet PC News - ISV Edition is published monthly and includes information about Tablet PC-related developer and marketing resources. It also includes updates on hardware models, software apps, etc.

Microsoft Office EPM Solution Partner Report
    The Microsoft Office EPM Solution Partner Report is meant to provide Microsoft Office EPM Solution partners with sales, marketing, and technical information about Microsoft Office Project 2003 and the EPM Solution.
    As of now, I am currently a subscriber of TechNet Flash (although not a premium service, but a VALUE-ADDED SERVICE) and so far, it is helpful.

Cheers!

Yo!