Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "stock tip" mails, help stopping please

Hi Ghostmachine

The problem with this set of mails is that the e-mail address that they come from is different each time, for example the ones i recieved today are from:

tonklin@furema.info Subject: Serious deal
    agnesb@groscap.info Subject: Global tips in the day
    wilson@galorefit.info Subject: the good word for thursday

So there is no set criteria they all use to filter against. As i said the only similar bit is the un-subscribe address but that is in the form of a jpeg, not text that i could filter against.

I suppose thinking about it the only similarity is the .info extension so i could possibly filter against this. In peoples experience does any useful mail come from addresses with a .info extension?

Thanks
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Not that I know of personally but it's hard to say. You could filter that and then they'll start using hotmail.com as their email domain.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Exclamation

Looks like you can filter based on the string ".info" in the email address.
    Hotmail should allow that. I'm hoping.

Again my original advice, If your junk email is increasing, start looking for another email address.

You should create a personal email account and a public email account, that's what I advise my clients. You know that the public email is eventually going to get hammered, so multiple email addresses for specific purposes just makes sense.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Just Another Geek
    I use hotmail (web-based) for some things. I also configured the "unwanted email filter". There are 3 settings; "Low", "Extended" and "Exclusive" (that's the 'whitelist only' setting). Mine is set to "Extended" (names may not be the same, I'm not using an english version). This will block most spam. If you still receive a spam email click on the "Unwanted email" button. This will allow you to report the spam so MS can update their filter.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks guys,

So i guess the only advice i can draw from this thread is:

- to use the exclusive/white list setting on hotmail and use that as personal mail
    - For all other mail, ie when i buy from online stores etc have a seperate account
    - Always tick the box saying don't send me correspondence
    - If possible don't use a free web account as you have less power to adapt the filters and you can use spam filter programs that way

So hopefully following those steps as a minimum would help you to keep mostly spam free. (of course there are many more steps you could take but you got to trade effort required to maintain and set up these against gains)

Thanks for the help guys
    m
    www.simpleits.co.uk

I have to agree with ZT3000. Use multiple emails for multiple purposes....
    I use the public emails just for specific purposes not for business or onloine purchases... I don't prefer that....
    I think it is not really hard to have a good email account from your ISP, with a powerful SPAM filter.. I don't recieve any spams at my personal Inbox {Not free one} at all... It is much better, I believe.

I would advise not to use your personal email for amusement.. like sending and recieving e-Card and other ScreenSavers and games.. becasue most of them are chained with SPAM issues...

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by ShippMA
    Zencoder - Changing ISP wouldn't help with Hotmail
    I meant, cancel your ISP and stop using the internet, cuz that's the only realistic way to get rid of this type of stuff completely.

foxyloxley - i didn't think that you could you use a spam filter with Hotmail, other than the one they provided (which doesn't pick up this message). Also yes i totally agree with you not to click the link if at all possible and i don't until i have exhausted all other options and it is still coming. 90% of junk mail stops after the first one or two i find as like you say they assume its a dead address, however this is one of those 10% that hasn't stopped after more than a month and is really starting to pee me off, which is why i tried the unsubscribe option that they give (which obviously doesn't work)
    Mailwasher and many other programs WILL work with Hotmail, via POP3.

I want to make this clear, its NOT spam in general that i want to stop as i have that covered, its this one specific message. Everything about the message is different everytime, right down to the mail address. The ONLY bit that is the same is the message about how to stop it, and that is in the form of a jpeg, not text, so at best i could filter out all messages that have a jpeg of that size which would affect legitimate messages.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but unless there is a spam program i can get for hotmail i can't see any of the suggestions working. Also i'm not sure even that would totally fix it as i use about 5 different machines throughout the week to access hotmail depending on where i am and i don't have install permissions on all the machines, (most notably the work ones)
    Ok...please take this the right way, it's not MEANT to be offensive...but your best bet is to put up with it, and delete the messages...or change your email account. If our suggestions don't work (Mailwasher will work I am 99.9% certain, especially if you pay to use their First Alert filtering), then you need to give up and move on. SPAM is an unfortunate part of life online, just like rude drivers and road rage are a part of driving in the metropolitan parts of the US...and probably elsewhere...I think the French INVENTED road rage, but I'm not certain. SDK?

Seriously...you've spent a lot of effort on this one issue. Delete the messages and move on. That is your path of least resistance.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Zencoder - Thanks for your responses, i didn't take offence at any of them and i'm sorry if my post came across that way, its just i get annoyed that companies can make money out of sending people rubbish that annoy the individual. It is for that reason that i don't mind spending 5 minutes out of my day to block or get myself unsubscribed etc from there list.

If i could use e-mail through my ISP i would its just as i said in a previous e-mail i use a number of different computers in a number of different locations, most of which using different ISPs. That along with the fact that i have a lot of University debt and therefore can't afford to pay for a good e-mail account means that a web based one like Hotmail is the perfect solution and again due to the number of computers i use and not having admin rights on them all rules out a SPAM filter.

I think that as you have said i've gone as far as i can on this board but i will continue to try to find out more details on this company and how to rid myself of there spam as 3 mails a day from just the one company is unacceptable to me.

Thank you everyone for your help and happy posting people
    www.simpleits.co.uk

its just i get annoyed that companies can make money out of sending people rubbish that annoy the individual.
    They don't make money by sending it to people that think their message is rubbish. They make money by sending it to people that think it is not rubbish. However, to get to that small percentage, they have to mail their message to just about everybody.

~Halv

Hello all I have done some research on this as I am getting these anoying emails as well and this is what I have found..so far...

1. right clicked on link in email and looked at properties found this URL http://www.allowhit.info
    which brings up a page telling you how to unsubscribe..DO NOT DO IT!!!
    2. did a ping on saharaneast.info DNS resolved to IP 207.244.52.130
    3. used http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl to trace IP:
    Search results for: 207.244.52.130

Chattanooga Data Connection, Inc. CHATDATA (NET-207-244-0-0-1)
    207.244.0.0 - 207.244.63.255
    Web Presence, Inc. WEB4PR-2-NET (NET-207-244-52-0-1)
    207.244.52.0 - 207.244.59.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2005-04-11 19:10
    4. Did a search for Web Presence, inc: http://www.bizwiz.com/quickprofilepa...encePHyTCG.htm

Darrin McQuay
    CEO
    Web Presence, Inc.
    3200 West End Avenue Suite 500
    Nashville, TN TN

also found:
    OrgName: Web Presence, Inc.
    OrgID: WEBPR-2
    Address: 7065 West ann road
    Address: Suite 130-125
    City: Las Vegas
    StateProv: NV
    PostalCode: 89130

ASNumber: 33407
    ASName: WEBPR-2-ASN
    ASHandle: AS33407
    Comment:
    RegDate: 2004-12-13
    Updated: 2004-12-13

OrgTechHandle: VAL-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Allan, Victor
    OrgTechPhone: +1-877-935-1974
    OrgTechEmail: victorallan@web4presence.com

5. did a search on: WEB4PR-2-NET & WEBPR-2-ASN both returned similar information as above

Search results for: WEB4PR-2-NET

OrgName: Web Presence, Inc.
    OrgID: WEBPR-2
    Address: 7065 West ann road
    Address: Suite 130-125
    City: Las Vegas
    StateProv: NV
    PostalCode: 89130

NetRange: 207.244.52.0 - 207.244.59.255
    CIDR: 207.244.52.0/22, 207.244.56.0/22
    NetName: WEB4PR-2-NET
    NetHandle: NET-207-244-52-0-1
    Parent: NET-207-244-0-0-1
    NetType: Reassigned
    NameServer: NS1.WEBPLACEDNS.INFO
    NameServer: NS2.WEBPLACEDNS.INFO
    Comment:
    RegDate: 2004-12-17
    Updated: 2005-01-28

OrgTechHandle: VAL-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Allan, Victor
    OrgTechPhone: +1-877-935-1974
    OrgTechEmail: victorallan@web4presence.com

6. HOWEVER... I used this http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

and found some different information, Chattanooga,Tn.. couldn't copy data from this page...you'll have to go there and try yourself.

Web Presence and Chattanooga Data Connection, Inc. (http://www.cdc.net/) seem to be both tied into this

I have not tried to contact any of these *&^%# people as yet, but at least I feel this is a start in tracking down the origin of this SPAM Crap!!

If anybody has any more info on this I'd be glad to hear it!!
    LeoSham