Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappy laptop

crappy laptop

I have this old junk laptop. It's like 1.8 ghz 40 gig hard drive and 256 megs of memory. my friend decided he wanted to open it up, stupid me let him. when he was putting it back together he put a screw that was too long through the motherboard where my dvd connections are... no more cd drive. I have an external but for some reason my comp wont boot off the usb drive although it is set too. it keeps going to grub. anyway. I have xp pro, and fedora core two installed on it. I was gonna upgrade to 3 but again i can't boot of the cd and i have no floopy drive. it has a rj45 connection that both os's can read but i only have a dlink wireless usb adapter that I can't get working in fedora. I am using ndiswrapper and it says it is there and i can scan for aps with it but for somereason i can't connect with it. it keeps saying check to see if cable is connected even though it scans fine. my question is what could i use this pos for as far as security is concerned.

thanks is advance for your ideas

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I have this old junk laptop. It's like 1.8 ghz 40 gig hard drive and 256 megs of memory.
    OLD, JUNK.
    Thats my DESKTOP you've described

First :
    I assume you have REMOVED the offending screw
    Mo/Bo's are notoriously easy to bollox, and extra long screw is in the top 3.

Is there no way you can get another Mo/Bo to swap into, and prove once and for all whether it is your Mo/Bo that's dead ?

my question is what could i use this pos for
    Doorstop Sorry.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

no this thing is a desknote. basically its a laptop that takes majority desktop parts. like the ram and suck. the mb is nothing that ive ever seen before. ive looked on ebay with no luck. it is a desknote 929a if anyone comes across anything. so there isn't anything security wise i can use it for? being no cd rom makes it more secure cause u can't boot up into knoppix..... lol least thats what im telling myself...

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: crappy laptop

Originally posted here by dark5yntax
    I have this old junk laptop. It's like 1.8 ghz 40 gig hard drive and 256 megs of memory. my friend decided he wanted to open it up, stupid me let him.
    Instead of letting your friend F*** it up, you should have donated it to a good cause. A worthy charity - Me
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

-_-

everything would be fine if he didn't touch it...

I think your friend can't purely evaluate the new technology...
    Why he would like to open it??? If he wants to do some practices... tell him to buy a really old computer and then practice as long as he want....

Give me this laptop.. and I will show you the real value of it....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

thats all well an good but my question still remains. what should i use it for?
    an in house proxy?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    but my question still remains. what should i use it for?
    As you have a compromised system, and therefore you cannot EVER trust its results [It's not just the DVD, USB that are in difficulties, you can no longer be certain that ANYTHING is as it says]

SO :

Doorstop Sorry.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well,

You have murdered it, you have two choices as I see it:

1. Salvage what you can and move on.
    2. Donate it to a young relative.

Unless you know some really hot PCB engineers with all the kit?

Do you have a parallel or serial port, you could always load stuff via a null modem cable?

i have both actually