Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: network help

network help

hello campers

basically im thick as two short planke when it comes to computers so i hope you can help...basically i connected to the net via a ethernet card through my accomodation as i live in student accom.....i dunno if i got broadband asl asdl or whateva else i apparently have a connectionm of 10.0mbps is the 1 meg???my speed is bollox i have been to tweak sites and mt upload is apparentlyu bigger than my download and my speed is crap any idvice is greatly needed

waterboy
    a man with hole in his pocket feels cocky all day

Nothing you can do. It's not your connection. It's all your comrades using p2p software and downloading ****.

Kill them, and see if your bandwith increases.

You could possibly ask the admins to block p2p ports, but I doubt they will.

Hi Waterboy,

Don't know how we can help you...you should ask your dorm manager/supervisor, if you have one, about the connection and see exactly what you have and how you can use it through the school system.

Eg

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    You have been a member here for over two years, you are UK based, and yet you say you are thick as two short ones, AND your writen English is appalling......

You need to take your time and re-post with details.

Operating system
    Laptop / Desktop
    Your own / Colleges
    Who set it up to access via ethernet card

Generally, you will be connected via the school server at 10 Mbps [ADSL 500 Kbps] you will have the TCP/IP settings for 'private' IP address [192.168.x.x]

So 10 Mbps is TEN times faster than the 1 Mbps that I think you are asking about.

And I cannot make out what it is that you are after, so please clean it up, and try again.

At a guess, you have been having unprotected net access, and your PC is no longer yours :Hax00red:

So to the first list please add :

your security routine :
    What you run [AdAware / SpyBot / Anti-Virus / FireWall]
    when you run it [Weekly / monthly]
    what you've found [lots of / none of]
    when did you last run it

Pax

[edit]
    I need to type [a lot] faster ................first here, third to post
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Senior Cow-beller
    The only advice we can offer is find someplace else to plug in your computer. You don't have any real control over the network or ISP, it sounds like, so there isn't much more you can do.

There are some local tweaks that you can do to your computer to help with certain things, but really, you'll only see minor improvements over your current performance.

You could look into local Wireless ISP options. Ricochet is one provider that I've heard of...not sure where they are. You could also look into a solution from one of the cellular/wireless phone providers...although I really don't think you'll want to pay as much as they charge, for the minimal bandwidth you'll get.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hmmmm,

The general comment that you are a victim of your environment is correct, and I would expect there to be a fair bit of "contention" that reduces your bandwidth. I would suggest that you talk to some of your neighbours and see if they have the same experience.

and mt upload is apparentlyu bigger than my download and my speed is crap any idvice is greatly needed
    That would not normally be the case, it sounds as if you have got some malware running. Are you file sharing?

Please answer Foxy~'s questions on your security routine. Do you have a firewall and up to date AV?

cheers

Exclamation

Let us say you are on a 10Mbps internal network connection from your school.
    But you think your connection is pretty bad, so you head online to those speed-me-up sites, take a little bandwidth test and they sport you a 1Mbps rating (sometimes less).

WOW...!!
    You are losing 9Mbps of bandwidth and you want it back. So you spend the time to follow all their instructions, rebooting several times, adding this program, taking out that instruction and finally head on back to "Speed Me Up".com. Only the tests still show 1Mbps.

Hey... !!
    You are getting gypped, right?
    Wrong!

Your connection to the college network is 10Mbps Max, that's true. But your connection to the internet will ALWAYS be slower, by far.
    Had you been at home on cable, your speed could be from 1.5 to 4Mbps, or ADSL up to 2Mbps or Satellite 750Kbps to 1.5Mbps.

Your internet connection or should I say your college's internet feed to the dorm rooms is probably not much more than 1Mbps per connection, by design.

[/Argument's sake]
    But let's say for argument sake that your college boasts a whopping 10Mbps of internet connection, so you plug in only to get 1Mbps. If your computer is running correctly where'd the other 9Mbps go?
    Look around your dorm building. You're looking it right in the face.

The other students are eating it alive, with their daily activity of downloading stupid crap.
    Not to mention that most universities, colleges (at least in USA) are overrun with student computers eaten up with trojans, virus, spyware, adware and other such bandwidth nasties.
    [/End Argument's sake]

So, as the other nice gentlemen have explained, not much we can do for you.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Exclamation

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    [edit]
    Sheesh....happens all the time to me on this forum.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by ZT3000
    Had you been at home on cable, your speed could be from 1.5 to 4Mbps, or ADSL up to 2Mbps or Satellite 750Kbps to 1.5Mbps.
    /me points to his 6 Mbps cable modem service
    And to plagiarize the American Dairy Association campaign...

Got bandwidth?

Got ping?

Got phat-pipe?

Choose your favorite.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    You aint jack, buddy. I was here when the post WENT ONLINE and still ended up...well...way WAY down there.