money stolen from cc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: money stolen from cc

money stolen from cc

I found out this morning when my creditcard company called to verify whether I purchased anything yesterday. Only thing I bought yesterday using my credit card was a travel ticket.
    I came to know somebody did a nice shopping with my credit card details yesterday worth of almost 1000 pounds.

I was asked to destroy my credit card.

Not sure how they got my credit card details.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Any number of possibilities:

- online transactions
    - paper carbon copies
    - paper receipts thrown out that have number on them
    - fake ATM/card reader
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

online transaction msm maam

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You know for sure that's how they got the information?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I dunno who got the information and how it is stolen, but I am really freaked up to know that it is stolen, Is there any possibilty to save myself from future threat and track the stealer?

Online transaction......................

OH well, we may have banned foxhunting over here, but I think you might be well advised to go on a trojan/backdoor/keylogger hunt?

And review your security.

I actually have a credit card that I only use for "untrusted" transactions............500 maximum limit

Good luck

EDIT: report it to your local fraud squad, and get a crime number. Then it is down to the police and the credit card company. The CC company should be able to recover the money if goods and services were supplied to a non-cardholder, not at the billing address of the card.

Check out your householder's insurance policy, there may be additional cover there?

I found this site a while ago, and it may help a little

http://www.identitytheft.org/dear_victim.htm

Edit -- most of the information on that site is good, but they want you to buy a bunch of books. You don't need to do that, but I would read thru the free stuff they offer to get an idea of what you need to do.

although you didn't have your identity stolen, just a CC number, it can't hurt to read a few things over and see what you can do to help this from happening again.

~Halv

Originally posted here by nihil
    Online transaction......................

OH well, we may have banned foxhunting over here, but I think you might be well advised to go on a trojan/backdoor/keylogger hunt

Good luck
    How do i do that?

You mean observing log file in firewall? what kind of file, sorry just getting out of mind.

I always notice that most people through thier receipts once they get the mony from the ATM.. this common practice by negligent people.... that's to say....

I purchased online many times.. but my credit card provider never called to verify if a purchasement has done or not... Weird they called you... and are you sure that the company called? How did you make sure that they are what they claim to be???
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster