Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Problems

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Road... Go for it... it's easily fixed.... just change the time on a DC that doesn't provide time to the workstations by 1 hour and wait for the phone to start ringing.... Change it back and the phone will stop ringing... The (L)users won't call you back to thank you....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    I am ALMOST tempted to try this....
    I've had a problem authenticating workstations when the time on the workstations and the server don't match. I've never seen them get KICKED off the network though after they've been authenticated... I'm not saying it doesn't work. I've just never seen it and I don't dare try it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well, I'm starting to suspect the spyware suspicion may be correct. To test that theory, we started this morning by only connecting the servers and the three most critical computers to the network. Sure enough, they've done fine with no problems whatsoever. So now I'm running scans on all computers then adding one at a time to the network, watching a while for problems, then connecting the next. So far we now have several connected with no problems. It also may be a hardware issue with our using two switches, so we're on one switch now then will add the second when I fill up the first, and test to see if that's the problem. So it looks like we're on our way to finding the culprit...Should be interesting to see if we indeed do have a rogue computer DOSing the network.

Ok, so now the network's slowing down mysteriously. I've added a few computers, and so far it's been doing ok. Just added a second switch after filling up the first one (leaving the second bare for now to see if it works well or not), and now things are starting to slow down. It's a new switch though. So could it be a network card somewhere slowing things down, or perhaps the switch?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Have you run Ethereal or some other network analyzer on the network?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Are the switches both rated the same [10 / 100 Mbps / Gig ]

Even new kit can fail, if kit works from the box, then it will probably work away for years, it's those first few days that cause the problems.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Exclamation

Are the switches manageable?
    Are there any other protocols running wild on the network besides TCP/IP? (Such as IPX, etc)

New switches can fail, can be setup improperly, can overheat.

Kinda sounds like a broadcast storm to me. But I'm not there to scan it.

Tiger Shark is right, get a protocol analyzer on it WITHOUT the 2nd switch attached. Get used to what you are seeing, then add the 2nd switch.

Divide and Conquer.

(Always easier said than done when giving 3rd party advice)

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

try running EatherApe on your network (comes with the 'audit' CD so you don't have to install *nix). it will render a graphical image in real time of all the protocols all the computers on the network are using and the amount of data being sent.

screen shot

http://etherape.sourceforge.net/images/
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well, I've switched out switches and so far so good, so I dunno...

Guess I'm gonna have to go read up on that Ethereal tutorial huh?

So I switched that second swith out with one of our older switches (try saying that three times fast), and the slowdown immediately stopped. Been adding computers one by one to that switch since yesterday, and so far everything's still going just fine.

As I've added each computer one at a time slowly in hopes of catching the rogue, I have made some discoveries. I just now discovered that the front desk receptionist's computer had quite a few trojans on it. Also, I had network problems soon as I reconnected one of the conference room computers, so now I'm looking at both of those as possible network troublemakers.