Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question reguarding brand name computers

Question reguarding brand name computers

Within the next few weeks my mother will be buying a new computer. Alot of the stores aound here have compaq, HP and Acer brand name computers. I am getting conflicting information that if you formate the hard drive of a compaq that you will loose acess to your bios, and other such problems. Does anyone know if this is true? I hear this is not a problem with Acer.

Aditionaly, If I buy say a computer and later on decided to buy a beter burner or a biger hard drive, can I put these new components in without problems just as I can with a generic home built computer. I also wounder what does it mean if a computer such as an IBM comes with an OEM version of an operating system, does this mean I cannot install my own operating system if I buy the upcomeing longhorn when its relased?

If i get a computer with builtin videa or built in audio, is it true that if I were to buy my own videa card or sound card that it can have conflicts with the built in stuff. Or does this depend on the motherboard?
    My Blog -> journy101.myblogsite.com/blog

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Personally I would steer clear of Compaq. They have so much proprietary stuff in their boxes it makes it a pain of you need to start over.

New components _should_ not be an issue if they are supported by MS.

Most MB's have a jumper for onboard audio and video to disable it. Once disabled there should be no conflicts.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well son it is like this................buy whatever crap you feel happy with

You will get what you DESERVE...............rather than what you pay for

I would not go for XP from a brand name

The Compaq is now removed from my list of options. Im guessing it might be better to build a system so that I know I can put what I want in it. Im getting more and more discouraged with brand systems as I read.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Funny: you sounded sufficiently well versed in computers to build your own and I was going to suggest it.... but then I decided against it... just in case....

If you can do it you can have twice the computer for half the money and no hassles....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Old Fart
    Example....just finished replacing the HDD in a HP presario (a.k.a. HP pretty-sorry-oh). There is no windoze disk, only a set of recovery CDs that install ALL the crap that HP bundles in. The P/S is barely sufficient to run the machine and there is NO ROOM to add a second HDD inside the case. If you want to upgrade this puppy you're pretty well screwed unless all you want to do is add RAM.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

********** |ceWriterguy
    From a business standpoint for brand-name computer manufacturers:

If I'm going to build you a computer system, I'm going to provide the cheapest parts (to me) I can get away with providing while trying to give you what you want, combined with things I can emphasize to you to drive the price up. Every brand-name computer company does this (yes, even Dell you die hard fans). Unless you know what you're dealing with (as in what parts are best) you're gonna get shafted at one point or another on any system you purchase. My suggestion is to look and learn a bit about various computer components and what will best fit the needs of the user most often on the system.

For example: I call up Compaq and tell them I like AMD processors and a LOT of ram... ok, they sell me a state of the art AMD with a gig or so of decent quality ram on a cheap motherboard and an even cheaper video and sound card, with a standard-issue hard drive (compaq for whatever reason likes maxtor and western digital, so no qualms there).

The caution is know what you're buying. You don't have to be a mechanic, just know enough about what's under the hood to not get yourself screwed.

As a general rule, I suggest the following - other opinions vary I'm sure:

MotherBoard - ASUS motherboard

AMD processor - 3.2 Ghz is top of the line last time I checked - the price drops radically the slower processor you get, don't get less than a 2.0 or you'll be too far behind the curve.

Power Supply - Nothing less than a 300 watt. Bigger is better - you can support more and it's more reliable under load. I run a 450 watt in my knock about box, and dual 450 watts in my Godsystem.

Video - I've seen a lot out there, but I like NVidia Geforce. Make DARN sure your video card is acceptable with WinXP, whichever you decide upon.

Sound - Can't ever go wrong with a Creative SoundBlaster. Last I looked LIVE! was the best one, but it's been a long while since I looked.

RAM - don't go less than 1/2 gigabyte, prefer 1 gig. These days most ram is decent, I prefer DDR.

Hard Drive - Western Digital imho is cadillac, with Maxtor running a close 2nd (Lincoln). Either is very reliable. I run a 40Gigabyte, but you can get into the 100's nowadays.

Again, opinions on what I've suggested will vary. Your best bet is to research each of these major components and any others you're considering - USB, Scanner, Monitor, Printer, the works.
    The simplest way to do this is to hit Google and start running. You can also snap up a copy of Computer Shopper at your local Best Buy (or computer store) and browse to your heart's content.

One final suggestion - Your local computer company (joe blow's computers?) right down the street can build you one that better fits your needs and get it to you sooner than the big guys can. It's (normally) also better supported since you have an individual whose living depends on your business and others like you. He can discuss with you every individual component you're purchasing, give you his opinions, etc - if he offers opinions that are different from your own, question him about them, then go home and research further - DO NOT buy without knowing!

Luck to you!

[edit]After rereading your post I wanted to add that you're on the right track questioning about expandability - any salesman will tell you that a computer is expandable. Unless you open the box and look for yourself, and see the blank ports and know what you're looking at, you won't know, and the salesman probably won't either. Make sure the video and sound cards are NOT centralized on the motherboard (meaning they can never be changed out). Make sure you CAN change ANY and EVERY component in the machine and that reformatting won't be a problem (they hand you the actual Windows XP CD, not a 'recovery CD' like Compaq loves doing so much.) Again, good luck! Now go do your homework [/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Thanks for all the guidence. Im thinking now the acer or building one.

[QUTOE]
    Funny: you sounded sufficiently well versed in computers to build your own and I was going to suggest it.... but then I decided against it... just in case....[/QUOTE]

No offence but why do you think that? I helped put my friends computer together before. I also have changed components in various computers. The only reason I had so much trouble with the Slot CPU is one I have never seen it before and when it comes to the processor I do not want to mess up. I have prelaced the cpu fan on sockets that lay flat, and installed the cpu in my friends computer.

I do thank everyone for the advice and concerns.

thanks |3lack|ce for this info, I will make good use of it.

Well add Acer to your scratch list..

Recovery CD
    HDD format is FAT32 (so the first thing you need is to convert the file system)
    My confidence in the product stoped at the last item
    the issues for comapq can also applied to Acer..

you would find similar probs withh most of the majors, Gateway, Dell, * *Puke*IBM*Puke**

Oh with self build.. some components have 2 and 3 year warranties.. lets see the big names offer that to you...

mind you though..Buying for Mom.. it depends on what she is doing.. My Mom is 80+ and has a little compaq.. but email, Word Processing, and heaps of Solitare is the typical useage... none of the 10 or so PC's in my Workshop are branded..ooops srry #11 is an old compaq,,running RH9 ..

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr