KB891711 & stability problems?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KB891711 & stability problems?

KB891711 & stability problems?

Hi,

I recently applied MS security patch KB891711 on a Win ME box. I immediately started to experience stability problems of various sorts.

On checking, I found that it had entered a task into startup, and was running something called KB891711.exe all the time.

(Mr. Christian, give that programmer 3 dozen lashes.............I think he meant start and run once )

Anyway, I killed the task and went into msconfig and removed it from startup, which resolved the issues I was having.

AFAIK this stability issue only affects Win98/98SE/ME, but the patch seems to be for most of the other Windows as well, so you might like to check it out if you have suddenly started to get problems.

I have just installed the latest version (v2.0) and the problem seems to have disappeared, and no strange program is running

So, if you are running Win98/ME and think that you have that patch, you may still have version 1.

Cheers

Exclamation

As soon as I read "Win ME", I knew trouble was afoot.

heh...! I think Win ME does a swell job at instability all by itself, no security patch needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MSconfig merely temporarily disable the unchecked item and not completely remove the entry from the registry?

(I don't use Msconfig much anymore, I just jump into my registry editor)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

MSconfig removes it from the run entry in the registry and stores it somewhere else so that you can easily add it back in if you want. I'm not sure of the temp location where it stores it, but none that less this is what it does.

Nihil, I would verify that the KB#.exe files is legit. Check the date and files size of it against MS's listed info. Might even have a corrupt download.

heh...! I think Win ME does a swell job at instability all by itself, no security patch needed.
    It is rather maligned, as its real problem is its resource requirements. Processors are not a problem, as it will run quite happily on a PII/266MHz. It does like a lot of RAM, though and is only "stable" between 384Mb and 512Mb. It also helps if you turn it off between sessions, and tune your startup sequence to avoid memory leaks.

The reason I say that it is "maligned" is that a lot of people went from Win98, or even Win95 and did not think about the hardware upgrade (OK M$ didn't actually shout about it). Also, quite a few OEMs were shipping new boxes with only 128Mb of RAM which isn't really enough, unless you know what you are doing, which most new buyers do not.

I sometimes wonder what user reaction would have been if WinXP had been the follow-up to Win98

MSconfig removes it from the run entry in the registry and stores it somewhere else so that you can easily add it back in if you want
    Yes, I wondered where it would show up, and did not want to kill it in case it was a new "nasty" (sorry ric-o )

Both MS and my Belarc Advisor said the downloads were OK................they say the same about the new one as well, but it isn't running strange executables.

BTW MS have confirmed that this is "one of theirs" so to speak.

Cheers

Exclamation

Further refreshing on my part:

I remember something about seeing those MSConfig changes in the same registry subsection but with a - "minus" in front of the key name, or something like that.

Geez...if I don't write down what I don't use anymore, I'm just too apt to forget it.

No wonder I use Google so much anymore.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Re: KB891711 & stability problems?

Hi there,

You are talking about a v 2.0 of this patch but no details about the place where to get it since I'd like to get ridd of yet another process running at startup.

Now, looking at the version of that .exe running on a win98 machine this is what I see:

version 4.10.0000.2222

So, what's version 2.0 since I dont remember getting and installing another package for this one here?

Cheers.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

I recently applied MS security patch KB891711 on a Win ME box. I immediately started to experience stability problems of various sorts.

On checking, I found that it had entered a task into startup, and was running something called KB891711.exe all the time.

(Mr. Christian, give that programmer 3 dozen lashes.............I think he meant start and run once )

Anyway, I killed the task and went into msconfig and removed it from startup, which resolved the issues I was having.

AFAIK this stability issue only affects Win98/98SE/ME, but the patch seems to be for most of the other Windows as well, so you might like to check it out if you have suddenly started to get problems.

I have just installed the latest version (v2.0) and the problem seems to have disappeared, and no strange program is running

So, if you are running Win98/ME and think that you have that patch, you may still have version 1.

Cheers

Check it here

ghostintheruins

Check the details here from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;891711

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

version 4.10.0000.2222
    I suspect that is your Win98 version number, go into <control panel> <system> and check it out at the top of the page.

To get the patch, you need to run Windows Update

Couter-checked

- Just a counter-check, in my Win98 & WinXP, it has no problem what so ever about this issue.

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

I guess that is always the way with these things? you need a particular set or sets of circumstances for them to happen. That is why you hardly ever see a definitive "reason"

Obviously if the problem happened in all cases, the software would not be released.............on the other hand...............