dual boot?advise needed

Thread: dual boot?advise needed

dual boot?advise needed

hi there,
    have xp pro sp2
    512 ddr400kingston
    read about instaling dual booting opoerating system from scratch but not sure whats happen when i have already installed xp pro.
    are the procedure different?is it any benefit.?
    i would install win98se to use it for playing games on line(have adsl connection1500/256)
    is there any benefit???from gaming point of view or you wouldnt bother just for that reason.
    (read that 98 use much less resourses so your input is welcome ty

I have two XP installs on my box. I choose which one I want to boot up. "Games" and "Normal".

In the Games configuration, there is pracically nothing installed with almost every service disabled.
    I'm running only the bare minimum. You can read about which services you need at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

My normal config is just another XP install, hardened, with all of the programs that I need all the time. I had problems with security scripts getting in the way of my gaming, so I just did another install and killed all services.

So far...secure and works fine.

NOTE: I used two separate HDs for this. You can use one if you want... but I recommened at least having two different partitions.

If I were you, I'd just stick with XP. Its more reliable, IMO.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The main difference/problem you're going to run into, is I would guess that your harddrive is partitioned into one partition. My guess would be that it is NTFS which 98 cannot read. This means that you cannot install 98 on this partition. You have a choice of repartitioning or adding another HD. Repartitioning "normally" requires you to reinstall the OS. There are some tools out there for repartitioning without destroying the data. Might look into that.

As a general rule you should load the older versions of windows first, then Win XP.

I do not think that you will get any advantage from Win98SE. Sure it uses less resource, but that only helps if you are short of resource Phish~'s idea of removing unneccessary services would be a far more elegant solution. Win98 runs very few services.

Another point is that Win98Se would be hard pushed to use the 512Mb of RAM that you already have. Furthermore, it is generally suggested that the Windows 98 and ME editions are unlikely to use much more than 400Mb of RAM in normal circumstances.

You did not mention your processor, but unless it is significantly slower than 1GHz, Win XP would seem to be the way to go.

My thoughts

Exclamation

Not to take away from phishphreek80's excellent post..

but save yourself some time and much disk space, instead just setup a gaming hardware profile.

Profiles are meant for this kind of purpose.

A different hardware profile allows you to keep the same drivers and services but turn OFF or ON the ones you want, with the least amount of hassle.

If you boot into your default hardware profile, as you are doing now, everything you want is working.
    If you boot into your Gaming hardware profile, you have certain hardware and services not working, depending on what you disabled.

Hardware profiles are easy to create and won't mess up your current system
    To find out how to make them, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225810/

Once you've booted into your Gaming Profile, disable the hardware and services you don't want, save the profile, then voila, you get the best possible gaming experience.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

ty guys
    i had 2 separate disk so have room to put 2 different os each on separate disk(80gh and 60gh)
    i did create gaming profile and sidabled as much services as posible so when booting system would ask me gaming on xp profile.
    just was curious about dual booting(diff systems)
    sry nihil usually i put all my specs but didnt think would be that important as to know the memory(xp atlon 2600(tm).
    thnkds guys was more for a learning about it then acctually need it i think
    will stick to 2 profiles and disable services as suggested
    thnjs

Hi,

With that processor and memory WinXP is the way to go..........it will be the fastest

Cheers