Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking down WinXP?

Locking down WinXP?

My friend's computer is often infect by virus/spyware and sometimes require a reformat. Stuffs that popup to them, they tend to click on it and stuffs like that. How can i prevent such things ?

I decided to install AVG, Zonealarm firewall and Ad-aware to protect his computer but i doubt it will prevent his siblings installing stuffs etc...

What i can think of is creating a limited account for his siblings but i doubt this will help much.. can anyone suggest some tips and tricks to help

Does Limited Account allow to install programs?

Opps... forget to mention WinXp with SP2

I would suggest having an active scanning AV and spyware program. The new Microsoft Antispyware is good for this and whatever brand of AV you pick should do this. I would also recomment upgrading to SP2 for popup blocking. Also, turn off the messenger service. Setting up a limited account is a good idea too. You might want to look into changing the way ActiveX is used on the machine such as turning it off, or changing it to warn.

Re: Locking down WinXP?

Originally posted here by Death_Knight

What i can think of is creating a limited account for his siblings but i doubt this will help much.. can anyone suggest some tips and tricks to help.

Does Limited Account allow to install programs?

You basically answered your own question. The limited account is exactly what he needs. Unless he is one of those people who happen to just install stuff without scanning with AV, the limited account will nearly be a panacea for him. Say goodbye to most spyware/viruses, you shouldn't see much, if any at all of that sort from within a limited account. However, if you use IE to surf, Adaware will pick up the occasional "tracking" cookie.

Yes, you can install programs with a limited account. Simply use RunAs. Right-click on most executables and the option is there.

I've even got my parents using RunAs on a limited account and if they can do it, ANYONE can do it.

Good luck.

Edit: Fixed spelling errors...

Alternative

You are in the right path as far as protecting the box.

If ever these steps did not stop some other threats, popups, ads, then I might suggest to try Firefox.

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

firefox and a limited accound would be your best and easiest bet

On the other hand you could tell him to get a mac and run safari
    ~Michael~

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    My friend's computer is often infect by virus/spyware and sometimes require a reformat. Stuffs that popup to them, they tend to click on it and stuffs like that. How can i prevent such things ?
    Break ALL his fingers
    Then, when he gets out of hospital :

Break them AGAIN...................

[edit]
    limited account is a first step
    education is a close second

breaking things is just FUN
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Ahaha!

Break ALL his fingers
    - Ahahah! Even the guy who had made some serious worm and damages the world only pays it by doing some "COMMUNITY SERVICE", and someone mess with the PC then break his hands? Rude! On the second thought, if he continues to do it, BREAK IT! joke

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

@---@ realy covered the basics.. The Microsoft Antispyware seems to be very well accounted for.. though I still Keep Spybot SnD and it's TeaTimer running.. annoying.. it is a butt saver

Even the guy who had made some serious worm and damages the world only pays it by doing some "COMMUNITY SERVICE"
    I think you will find this little clown only changed the code on an existing worm.. he wasnt smart/creative enough to code the original..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Stuffs that popup to them, they tend to click on it and stuffs like that. How can i prevent such things ?
    You did the right thing by installing AV software, 3rd party firewall and adaware. They do this to themselves. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Stupid is as stupid does.

Well, i think that comes into mind that FireFox will be less prone to be infected by ActiveX stuffs. I think i will partition his 80GIG hard disk into 2, just in case he doesn't put all his stuffs on 1 drive and it goes kaboom