Super Volcano?

Thread: Super Volcano?

Super Volcano?

april 1st
    Professor Cas said a "major tectonic event" could be enough to trigger a deadly super-volcanic eruption.

The likelihood that the Toba – the largest super-volcano on Earth – will erupt has increased significantly due to geological stresses generated by the recent quakes.
    full story

12 days later

and again

so much for global warming!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    3rd Rock from Sun
    Jeez :
    What ELSE can happen out there ?

Does anyone have a link to maps of the area, specifically, one detailing fault lines, volcanoes etc ?

UK TV recently showed a tele-doc of "the worlds worst eruption, that hasn't happened yet" of the super volcano under Yellowstone USA ...............
    Fiction following life ?

Hopefully it will all blow over NOT up.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I just caught a discovery channel "movie" that shows a super volcano in the yellowstone national park area here in the ole USA. The real event took place 2 mil years ago and the crater site was 30 miles wide.

********** |ceWriterguy
    The movie was based on a documentary Discovery aired last November or so - the same one that followed it. There is a super volcano beneath Yellowstone. It's last eruption was about 560k years ago. The three times it has erupted were a million years apart. That being said, I think we have ample time to prepare a contingency plan.

If Toba blows, we won't have to worry about the hole in the ozone layer or greenhouse gasses for a very long time - Volcanos replenish ozone and deplete greenhouse gasses. What we *will* have to worry over is a global temperature drop, possibly starting another ice age, and breathing the toxic fumes and ash that will be released into the atmosphere in global proportions. Should Toba blow, I feel safe in predicting that dust-filter masks will become quite popular in fashion, and that the face of the globe within 200 miles or so of the eruption will change radically, and that several millions will die.

On the "Realist" side -
    Man has lived on this globe for generations. He has survived an ice age, all sorts of famines, plagues, and pestilences, and volcanic eruptions. He has prospered.

I don't worry much about an asteroid hitting the world and destroying it,
    I don't worry much about a crazed terrorist blowing my head off in a firefight,
    I didn't worry about the USSR's nuclear missiles during the cold war,
    and I bloody well won't worry about a super volcano until it starts erupting. This is more media hype of the sort that incites people to panic. They need a story - Jacko's trial is stagnating, Robert Blake was found not guilty, Terry S is dead, the Pope is buried. Don't let them scare you with sensationalism.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Two more Indonesian volcanoes rumble

Sensors on the slopes of the two mountains – Anak Krakatoa on the southern tip of Sumatra Island and Tangkuban Prahu in Java – picked up an increase in volcanic activity and a buildup of gases, government vulcanologist Syamsul Rizal said.

foxyloxley :

the usgs has some very detailed maps for the US but unfortunatly i cant find any for that area as yet
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi Everybody,

As dangerous as volcanos look...apparently they themselves are not very dangerous at comparison to other natural disasters...most deaths are not even caused by the eruption itself, but by the's interesting to note that of the seven major eruptions since 1500 three triggered Tsunamis'...and the one that caused the most deaths were deaths as a result of starvation...
    CVO Menu - Deadliest Volcanic Eruptions

Now this is really interesting...I knew there were alot of random earthquakes around the world...but I was under the impression that most were weak 4.0 or less, apparently 5.0-6.8 are very common and and learn...
    Earthquake Hazards Program: NEIC: Worldwide Earthquake Activity in the Last Seven Days

but I saved the best for last...can you see how far Africa, Europe and Asia has shifted south and east...yet, North and South America has remained relatively stable...
    USGS Earthquake Hazards Program: Plate Tectonics Animation

Yep, the circum-Pacific seismic belt is no joke. 80 something percent of the world’s big boys go off within the ring of fire. Too bad a lot of poor people with no real escape live on this periphery.

While on the subject... each year the amount of pollutents placed into our atmosphere by cars and all things man made is MINISCULE to the spew Mother Earth puts out. Having said that, there is also no reason why intelligent creatures can't try and minimize their own output to a balanced level over economic progress versus sound commone sense. And at the same time research the ability to move things from planet earth. Something evironmentalists detest for some reason.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I prefer this site for looking at seismic activity over the last 30 days or so.

Go Click on a Circle, and Click on the Circle again to get the Magnitude.

Have fun
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Does anyone have a link to maps of the area, specifically, one detailing fault lines, volcanoes etc ?
    Check this site out ... [It might not be what you are looking for .... But it's really cool though] :

World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you experience Earth terrain in visually rich 3D, just as if you were really there.
    NASA World Wind

Enjoy .....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam