Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is a Dell Policy?????

AO Ancient: Team Leader

This is a Dell Policy?????

A user who has been asking me about what kind of computer to buy told me the following today:-

She had found an offer from Dell in some publication or other and had called the number in the ad and was redirected to India, (no surprise there).

She indicated that she was looking at a promotion and was interested. The conversation proceeded....

Dell: Ahh... Ok, let me get some details to set up your account. Can I have your name please?

User: Ann Smith

Dell: Address?

User: 123 High Street.... etc.

Dell: Phone number?

User: 3105551212

Dell: Social Security Number so I can see if you are elegible for another promotion?

User: Pardon?

Dell: Social Security Number so we can check with the bank to see if you are eligible for another promotion?

User: I'm really not comfortable with that.

Dell: Never mind, some people get a little uncomfortable giving that....
    The conversation was rather quickly closed by my well trained user.........

Questions:

1. Has anyone else here come across this?
    2. Is this a _genuine_ Dell thing or is this guy scamming on the side?
    3. How stupid are they to be doing stuff this way if it is their "technique"
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

i think you should do a reverse look-up of that phone number then shoot that ad off to the FBI.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AOs Resident Troll
    I have dealt with Dell Canada...and some US Tech Support (server) and have never been asked that type of question...I have inquired about thier promotions for both business and home users

Good move on the user...obviously trained very well

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Tiger: My ex's mom had a similar experience. She was trying to get Dell support (was talking to someone in India of course) and they asked her for her SSN to "verify" her account. She told me that nowhere in the purchasing process did she give out her SSN so they wouldnt of had it on file. As far as I know she did report it to Dell (along with a huge list of other complaints) but they have not gotten back to her. After hearing your story I think that it might of been a scammer she talked to..
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AOs Resident Troll
    I am kinda think along the same lines...worker is just gathering info...for his own use.

Not really a Dell policy....

You gotta wonder how many people will actually give that info out over the phone...to a tech\sales person...in ANY country??

I have trouble giving out my phone number (unpublished of course)

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sounds familiar....

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0411indiaoutso.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5660274.html

A complaint to the FTC and Dell might be worthwhile.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ms. M:

Comes through with the skinny as usual.... thank you Ma'am.

I shall be advising our employee to make a complaint to the FTC and Dell.

Interestingly enough he was very reluctant to let her go and gave his number and extension to her and said that if he wasn't there to contact his supervisor at another number.... Either it's a Genuine thing - in which case it is wholly wrong of Dell - or it's a scam being perpetrated by several people there - which is also wrong.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Exclamation

You mean they even OUTSOURCE the scammers!?
    Whoa... what a growing industry!

The conversation was rather quickly closed by my well trained user.........
    You really crack the whip over there Tigershark! You're like a RingMaster.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

You really crack the whip over there Tigershark! You're like a RingMaster.
    Thanks.... But I work with social workers.... the most gullible bunch out there.... Always a sucker for a sob story and the like. I send warnings regularly about new forms of scams as they come out to all users so they are at least informed and know what they should never give out unless the circumstances are in their control.... I guess I do it enough and in a sufficiently understandable way that it is working..... I actually like a few of these people....

Greeting's :

This is my personal experience of call center's and CRA's from India :

1. Very basic product training is given.

2. Will ask you things as per the supervisor's wish (there have been times where many companies have lost contract's due to fact that the supervisor's have given wrong information to CRA)

3. Most of the CRA's are young and in their teen's and very few care about the "QUALITY" of their work this is due to :
    A) They have taken job only for summer and are going to leave it in some-time.
    B) "who care's hows he going to know who i am"
    C) If they fire me here I have another 200 call center's waiting

4. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE : OUT OF ALL THE CRA'S IN INDIA ONLY 0.01 % KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF SSN (I have had people writing SSN on Paper and trying to see how far the next customers ssn is and trying to derive a way to know how SSN is assighned) I know its stupid.

5. Poor quality control. (but its improving)

So I think if this is a legit call (and i am sure it could be) only thing that is going to happen is that the CRA will be given a warning letter which he will use as a tissue paper or make a paper plane of it. Or even worst if he is sacked he will curse the person for a minute and then apply in the next call center.

Whatever I have said draws a grim picture but its true and improving in better way. People are no longer looking at call center's as a temp. option for their livelyhood but are now taking it seriously.
    Although I would like to mention the level of security provided as far as customer data is high at server's end but when it comes to the user or the CRA I am not sure what i should say. I gave example of how stupid and desperate people here are but just for the sake of it for those who know what a gold mine of information they get to see everyday "DO" try their best to exploit it.

and just for a bit of fun you may watch https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/xythoswfs/webui/_xy-5011688_2
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.