Thread: Names

Names

Hi!

Right now comes very much different names for "bad programs" like:

Virus -> worms, malware, hoax,....
    Spyware -> reklam, spamtools, monitoring and recording, .......
    Hacking tools -> "vir+spy" + ....

Does it exist some "ONE" word that can definite all this simple?

People asking me often about virus and spyware but for me it almost same and it not fine to say just like "I can see virus" or "I can see spyware" (i can see dead people ) or "I can see virus and spyware on you computer." but if put this words together it become 'Spirus' but it also takes to explain all in one faster then part by part.

What do you think? Is it enough with old words or it is good with new too?
    What are you ideas about that or other?

---------
    Cheers
    ---------
    // too far away outside of limit

Trouble ?
    O.G at A.O

Exclamation

Does it exist some "ONE" word that can definite all this simple?
    Sure!

SNOT-WARE

(Everyone recognizes snot, no? And a handful of snot would get the idea across)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

MrBabis,

Connecting words that describe different objects, even if they are related in some way, would be more confusing than helpful...

eg. " help me I've got spirus on my computer " would only compound the problem with supplying the correct information that already exists.

malware

malicous + software = malware

v_Ln

Hi val,

That works! But that's because it's a combination of a noun and an verb...an action describing the name...

spirus, ontheotherhand, is an attempt to combine two separate-meaning nouns...

Eg

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Names

Originally posted here by MrBabis
    [B]Does it exist some "ONE" word that can definite all this simple?
    B]
    The simple answer is no. As each one is different, and operates differently, a seperate word is required to define each one(to avoid confusion) Convergance of technology and the English language
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I agree with Val~ ,,,

However using generic terms is not recommended .... just know it, don't use it more oftenly....
    It is just like the word ill ... it would be really helpful if you use the more specific terms ... like flu, HIV ... etc ..

Source
    Malware (a contraction of "malicious software") refers to software developed for the purpose of doing harm.

Malware can be classified based on how they get executed, how they spread, and/or what they do. The classification is not perfect, however, in the sense that the groups often overlap and the difference is often not obvious, giving rise to frequent flame wars.

The first form of malware to evolve was the computer virus. Viruses work and spread (within the infected system) by attaching themselves to other pieces of software (or in the case of macro viruses, documents), such that during the execution of the program the viral code is executed. Viruses spread across computers when the software or document they attached themselves to is transferred from one computer to the other.

Computer worms are similar to viruses but are stand-alone software and thus do not require other pieces of software to attach themselves to. They do modify their host operating system, however, at least to the extent that they are started as part of the boot process. To spread, worms either exploit some vulnerability of the target system or use some kind of social engineering to trick users into executing them.

Trojan horses are similar to viruses in that they get executed by being part of an otherwise useful piece of software. However, Trojan horses are attached to the host software manually, they can not infect other pieces of software the way viruses can. To spread, Trojan horses rely on the useful features of the host software, which trick users to install them.

A backdoor is a piece of software that allows access to the computer system bypassing the normal authentication procedures. Based on how they work and spread there are two groups of backdoors. The first group works much like a Trojan, i.e., they are manually inserted into another piece of software, executed via their host software and spread by their host software being installed. The second group works more like a worm in that they get executed as part of the boot process and are usually spread by worms carrying them as their payload.

Spyware is a piece of software that collects and sends information (such as browsing patterns in the more benign case or credit card numbers in more serious ones) on users. They usually work and spread like Trojan horses.

Because viruses were historically the first to appear, the term "virus" is often applied, especially in the popular media, to all sorts of malware. Modern anti-viral software strengthen this broader sense of the term as their operation is never limited to viruses.

Malware should not be confused with defective software, that is, software which is intended for a legitimate purpose but has errors or bugs.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster