Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.3

You don't have to buy it.

You can use the torrent I posted (in previous post) and dowload it. If you want the full DVD, you'll need to have a DVD burner capable of burning dual layer DVDs. Otherwise, it won't work. The image is over 7gigs and single layer dvds only hold about 4.3gigs. I decided to download the 5 CD (ISO) package and burn to CD for my install. That package is about 3.3gigs total. I started it last night and its about 50% competed. I'm in no rush for it though... so I set my upload slightly faster than normal. My upload ratio as of this AM was 250%. Just giving back to the community.

If you are unfamiliar with how to use bittorrent... you should read up on it. http://www.bittorrent.com/

Its pretty easy to use. I have also posted (in this thread) about how to increase your download speed to get the maximum transfer rate while not killing your network connection and making email, http, etc. slow for everyone else sharing your broadband connection.

My favorite bittorrent clients are:

BitTornado http://www.bittornado.com/
    Azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Awesome, thank you so much for that phishphreek. I guess I'll redownload the full SuSe when I get home tonight. I finished downloading the latest Mandrake linux (Mandriva) this morning. I'm going to play around with the DVD-loaded SuSe for a bit and see how I like it before I take das plunge. Actually, I have the DVD with me now and the boss and everyone else are about to step out to lunch... :-D
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

I just checked with Marcus who works for SUSE on the security team, and he sent my mail to someone inside Novell, and he got back to me today saying that yes, those torrents are indeed legal.

Originally posted here by gore
    I just checked with Marcus who works for SUSE on the security team, and he sent my mail to someone inside Novell, and he got back to me today saying that yes, those torrents are indeed legal.
    Hey Hey,

We decided to go with SuSE a while back for our programming students that have linux courses... After pricing everything out with them, the employee that I was dealing with let me in on a little secret about their licensing. When you pay for SuSE, you're only buying the manuals and the support. The OS itself is free. We puchased a single copy and then made copies fo the media to distribute and it's all completely legit according to Novell. We were actually really impressed when dealing with them, both with their corporate pricing and their policies.

Peace,
    HT

I expected nothing less from the best

Originally posted here by gore
    Come on... like I'd post anything that wasn't "legal"?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've seen your FTP

Wow I got to play around with it a bit last night and it looks and feels awesome! Seems like it reacts MUCH faster than Windows. Now to learn all those pesky commands... :-D
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    The important part...

Torrents! God.. you have to love torrents!

http://www.knetdome.com/bt/?torrent=suse93
    I've been downloading from this torrent for past few days and its been going slow as hell. I get a ridiculous upload rate (like 35-40 kB/s) but only get about an average of 8 kB/s download rate. Anyone else experiencing this or know where to get the 5 CD set faster? I'm at 81.9% finished and am going to ride out the rest but just a word of warning for anyone else looking to get it from this torrent.

Heh, If I downloaded it, it would take WEEKS, so don't complain about days! :P I hate dial up... I would try 9.3, but since I have serious troubles getting modems to work in any kind if *nix enviroment, I wouldn't be able to get mp3s to play, and that would piss me off. So I'll just wait.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.