Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suse 9.3

I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this so I figured this would be the place to post this:

I installed SUSE 9.3 just fine (finally got around to burning ISOs and installing) but I'm running into a bit of a problem. For some reason the OS isn't letting me get a network connection. My Windows partition works just fine with networking but for some reason SUSE won't connect. I've tried configuring the card with no success. Has anyone else run into this problem or know how to fix it?
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Knowing which card you have would help. Usually you don't have to configure anything.

I'm at work right now so I can't check specifics but if I recall correctly it's a Rhine II adapter. It's wierd because it sees it, according to the settings I looked at the card is configured to get everything pretty much automatically (IP, DNS, etc.) from DHCP. I just find it strange that no matter what I do its not picking up any sort of connection.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Ummm, I have one of those.... If I recall, it doesn't work well with 2.6 Kernels. Anything I tried would not allow me to connect to the net.

I was busy with schoola dn work so I just popped in a D-Link Network card that was like non expensive, and put the Cat5 in that card.

It's weird, a 2.4 Kernel like Slackware worked fine with it. I'm really not sure what happened there.

Hmmm, perhaps it's because the Rhine II is the onboard LAN controller on the mobo instead of the actual NIC card I used to have. Should I throw the old one back in, goto BIOS and disable on-board controller and hope for the best? Kinda seems wierd that the latest edition of the Suse won't support pretty up to date stuff.

Put that one back, yes. Rhine is crap with 2.6 as I said.

I just realized that I think the network connection worked fine when running off the Live DVD but isn't working with the full installation. Any thoughts?