Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snail Alert!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    One thing I LOVE about Eg ...........
    Ask him a question. And BOY do you get a reply

If only all people with a problem would give this attention to detail.

[edit]this in case people wonder why Eg got green for a reply that only gives DETAILS
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yeh..but give to many details and no bastard will answer your question..

Have been encountering DNS problems of late.. where I can I have made entries in my Hosts file to counter the problem.. those sites load 100%, those that arent it is Russan Roulet.. some time NP, othertimes no find.

Slow machine? yes.. Corrupted Device drivers are a good area to look. A problem just lately in a machine .. fix. updated the Mobo drivers (easier than uninstalling and reinstalling, got wooglies, old driver bugs, kicked out and it worked)

Being windows.. did you check the performance settings? could it be set for priority on Background processes.. seen afew turn into dead slugs on that..

As I say in my Sig.. "Computer Farts and people call the spyware doctor.."..
    A slow computer is a matter of perception much of the time.. is it slow.. do some benchmarks..BUT .. benchmarking now is of no quantitive value, you may use it to roughly compare with a similar machine..but it isnt a comparison on your machine..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks foxyloxley!

Hi Und3rtak3r,

Being windows.. did you check the performance settings? could it be set for priority on Background processes.. seen afew turn into dead slugs on that..
    I can't find it...I went into system info and computer-management and can't find performance settings...can you tell me where to find it? Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I think ( don't quote me quite yet! ) the problem may be solved...my machine seems to be back to it's normal slow self...rather than abnormally slow even for a snail...I ditched my previous versions of Firefox and then re-installed 1.0.2. over the existing one...and it seems to be back to it's former self...when I went into the control panel I noticed that both the 1.0.2. and the 1.0.1. were listed as both used today...don't know if that's normal but I thought that it was odd...I'll post later on and tell you if it reverts back to the same problem or not!

Thanks for all your help everyone...l3lacklce and Und3rtak3r and kr5kernel...I'll be back later to take care of that...too many given out today!

Eg

Exclamation

Egal,

One reason your system is slow (despite Internet performance) is that you are running memory eating processes you really don't need, like real player update, like quicktime task update, like Nerocheck, like.....(I saw others)

You have some housecleaning to do, not to mention some other Hijack items I saw.
    Does every available option in AVG antivirus need to be running? I didn't count exactly but I thought I saw at least 4 different AVG files loaded.

Despite all this, please check your entire system, including hidden files and system files for "autoload.exe". See if that file is present. Please let me know if it is and where it is.

Also your system will run better if AVG is not scanning/filtering all files being used all the time, at least exclude some from run-time scanning and setup a nightly schedule scan instead.

Also if I had your system I would also add a 256MB or more stick.

Last but not least:

Is your video card an "on the motherboard" type?

Thanks.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Hi ZT3000,

I'll try to break this down...

don't need, like real player update, like quicktime task update, like Nerocheck,
    I don't think they can get past the firewall without it notifying me...but anyways...how do I disable the updates without affecting their performance?

2. Are you sure I don't need them?

3. I checked, there is no such file found in search.

4. again, are you sure that eliminating services won't compromise the integrity of the system?

5. I only have two slots so the most I could add would be to upgrade the 128 to 256...giving me 512MB

6. I think so...I didn't install any separate video other than what's already there.

Thanks,

Eg

Hey there!

With a normal system like this

Windows 2000 Pro
    80GB with 93% free space
    384MB Ram with 170MB free at last look
    service pack 4

-It should at least perform above normal (mine is 256MB with built-in video with most of your SW stuff in it and performs fine enough in dial-up). Let me see… Before suggesting update of RAM in a 384MB (already), check your built-in Video card, how many MBs? (32MB, 64MB ?).

errors on firefox...no data errors...page errors...
    - OK, it is funny sometime suggesting this, have you tried IE or other alternative browser lately (i.e. Opera - just to check maybe IE and Firefox has almost same settings)? Same slowness? Check that you can access the website in other browsers. If it is the same error messages, next move.

machines been slow off-line too
    - So, if it is slow offline, it is not with the ISP provider, maybe in the box only. How about PC performance? The usual, try to play with other software and assess it compared to it’s previous performance. It could only be with the browser issue even if offline.

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

Egal,

Und3ertak3r asked you to check the performance settings, and you asked where to find it, well here it is:
    Right Click "My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance settings, Advanced. Ensure both dots are in the respective "Programs" radio button.

While you are there click on "Virtual memory change button", tell me what size of your page file and how is it managed (custom, system or No?).

[Before you start]
    Before I start any maintenance, I perform a scandisk on bootup, reboot and let scandisk fix file anomalies.
    Scandisk fixes those file anomalies before you find yourself chasing problems that are really file system related.

After scandisk, head to event viewer, look at the "Winlogon" entry in Applications sections. See what scandisk found and repaired. After event viewer, scan all three event viewer logs getting a feeling of what's going on.
    If your machine is like mine, I have nothing but information entries. If you have warnings or errors, it's best to check em out before they get more troublesome.

Once I've got a sufficient handle on what may be going on, I clean out all 3 event viewer logs and immediately head for reboot. After reboot, I head right back to event viewer to see what kind of messages I have in the 3 logs.

Oh....and let the system boot fully up before you head over there. Once the desktop appears, give the machine another 30-45 seconds (or even one minute since yours is slow) for it to finish booting. Now check your event logs, see how that differs from your last look inside.

Okay....at this point I'm typing my little fingers off so I'm going to head into answering some of your questions.

Answers to your numbered questions:

1. Those loaded modules for the mentioned "update" services are eating some of your processor time and memory. Removing them will not affect their performance since they are merely there to check on and download their respective programs updates, which update you can perform manually if ever needed.

To make this process the easiest, you can download, install and run a FREE program called "Codestuff Starter" or if you wish "A2hijackfree".
    Both programs are startup program stoppers. Using those programs, it's your choice to delete the startup entries or simply disable them temporarily.
    (At this point somebody may tell you to use HijackThis for this purpose, and if you know how to use it, then go for it. I have HijackThis but I don't use it much (maybe I should start)).

2. Absolutely YES. You don't need them. If you only disable them from running, you will see that fact later.

3. Glad you don't have upload.exe, it's a trojan that I caught trying to sneak it's way into my system, either from some link on this forum or from somewhere very closely related. Don't remember right now.

4. Those programs are not services. They are updates waiting to happen.

5. Okay

6. It seems you have an onboard video card. Probably 32MB taken from your system memory. Huge performance increase by adding a separate 64MB or larger video card. (and disabling the onboard video through BIOS.)

Here are the registry startup lines you can consider to disable/remove: (don't remove the actual files though)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe [Real music player updater]
    C:\WINNT\essspk.exe [ESS call waiting popup, don't remove if you need this capability]
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe [Quick time tray icon]
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe [Java update scheduler]

O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx [IE uses this to integrate Windows Media player inside your browser so it plays audio and video. Leave it be.]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon [Offline page synchronizer, you decide if you want this]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot [Silly Real player update scheduler]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe [Constantly checks for known drivers that can conflict with Nero]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe [Java update scheduler]
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe [You run the disk manager all the time?]
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    [Definitely a resource hog, partial loads Office program so it's two seconds faster when you do start it, whoopie]
    O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = D:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE [Winzip easy taskbar access, Why? How much time has this saved you?]

There is more I would do. But hey...this is free help, so you only get so much.
    ZT3000

Exclamation

Egal,

Oh...and your internet slowness could be due to DNS issues. Use a generic DNS like 4.2.2.2
    (actually it's not generic but it's DNS for GTEI.net, a big ol' honking DNS USA server)
    ZT3000

Hi Again,

Well..everything seems to be back to...cough...normal like I said...seems getting rid of the old Firefox versions did the trick...but to answer further questions...

Hi GONEin62nd,
    check your built-in Video card, how many MBs? (32MB, 64MB ?).
    Would if I knew how?!

Hi ZT3000,

Checked performance and there are two dot circle's...for Applications and Background...only the Applications was dotted.

Virtual memory...after I had the new memory installed I remember changing the page file space to match the new situation...it's set at the recommended amount 562MB...

over 73000 free space
    recommended 562
    set 562 (to 843 )

Event Logs:

There is absolutely nothing in my security log
    Of the hundreds of items listed in my System log going back only to the 1st of March...there are only three warnings listed...2 for Automatic update and 1 for dnscache...all the rest are information alerts for that period
    In my Apploication log for the same period beginning March there is only 1 warning for WinMgmt and an error for Event system...the rest again are information alerts

Only went back as far as March 1st ...because I don't see the point going through all of it listed.

By the way...my RAM is the old kind...if that matters?

As for the registry...for the most part I have it configured to Black Viper's Windows 2000 specs...the last time I was in there there were none of these global things to my recollection...
    this is what's on my startup programs menu in system information...

System Information report written at: 04/14/2005 06:29:27 PM
    [Startup Programs]

Program Command User Name

AVG7_Run
    Microsoft Office
    Synchronization Manager
    TkBellExe
    NeroCheck
    Lexmark X1100 Series
    EssSpkPhone
    QuickTime Task
    AVG7_CC
    AVG7_EMC
    SunJavaUpdateSched
    Zone Labs Client

If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks,

Eg

Eg, if you don't know how to stop aps from eating your resources on start up, download this ap called Start up control panel. For instance I have no things starting up on my comp, then again I run on a limited account and use neither AV protection nor any firewall aps etc.. But I'm sure you can kill almost all of those aps and get away with it.