Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sql Server Problem?

Sql Server Problem?

Hello,
    There is a strange problem at the moment for a very mission critical machine (That is running Microsft SQL Server 2000 with service pack 3 and all the latest patches havebeen updated on the machine). The problem is that sqlserv.exe process is consuming upto 90% of the cpu resources. The operating system we are using is Microsoft Windows 2003 (all patches applied). I would appreciate if someone could list down the approach for tracing this problem to its roots.

According to my understanding and the approach I am following is:

1) Immidiate antiVirus Scan (Norton with all definitons updated), which showed nothing.

2) Process Explorer for each and every process description that is executing on my machine.

3) Spyware Scans which did fix nitti grittie sort of worms and spyware, but the problem remains there.

I was thinking of monitoring all the inbound and outbound traffic of that machine (MS SQL Server Machine) i.e. monitoring all the ports and the traffic on it. Can someone recommend a handy tool for this ??

The biggest problem with this machine is that it is connected to internet (only for the sakeo f patches). I am trying to convince my administration that the machine should refuse all connection from the outer world (or machine has no access to internet) and we can apply the patches manually or by means of our patch updation server.

Any ideas from the community towards troubleshooting the problem that consumes around 90% of the cpu resources?? I would appreciate if someone could recommend any tools or suggest anything else.

Thank you
    Ommy

AOs Resident Troll
    Can you provide hardware details.??

SQL is cpu intensive....how many do you have?? What are they?? PI, PII, PIII etc

How much RAM?? You can improve performance with adding more RAM...can take the load off of the CPUs??

What kind of harddrives??SCSI 10,000 rpm, IDE 7200 serail ATA???

Do you have lots of room on those drives??

How many users??

How many daily transactions in the database???

Waht other services are running on the server, ISA?, Exchange?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Have you been patching SQL Server as well as the OS? You dont have any of the default passwords running do you? (Ex. sa sa)

Sp3 (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp)

and then downloads for after SP3 here (Select SQL Server 2000 and then Service Pack 3)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AOs Resident Troll
    (That is running Microsft SQL Server 2000 with service pack 3 and all the latest patches havebeen updated on the machine).
    Looks like he has the patches already???

MLF

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Looks like he has the patches already???

MLF
    Morganlefay: Didnt want to assume after this quote

The operating system we are using is Microsoft Windows 2003 (all patches applied)
    No mention of SQL Patches. If he goes to Windowsupdate.com to get patches it sometimes does not pick up patches for other programs such as SQL.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AOs Resident Troll
    Yes you are right...

Never assume

MLF

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    In the task manager, add additional info fields for threads and handles (VIEW>SELECT COLUMNS). See if the process is leaking. That's the first thing I would normally do.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    3) Spyware Scans which did fix nitti grittie sort of worms and spyware, but the problem remains there.
    This entry worries the **** outta me....... Really....

You have an SQL server with "nitti grittie sort of worms and spyware" on it??????

You have a bunch of other problems, policywise and practicewise, to solve before you solve this one.....

Start from scratch then come an tell us if you have the same issues....

I have $50 says you don't...... Really....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

The machine Microsoft SQL is running has dual QUAD processors and 2 gigs of RAM. CXGJarrod and MorganLefay, I have all the patches for Win2k3 and MS SQL Server (not that big of an idiot) installed We have a SCSI hard drives with 10,000 RPM. I am on the red alert mode for any security patches for both OS and the SQL Server. Our MS SQL servers handle around 3 lakh queries per day (inert, select). But MS SQL server has been handling more load then that in a day like around 8 lack queries in a day and it didnt showed any degradation in performance.

TigerShark, yes there are a bunch of problems both practice wise and policy wise (thats what i am here for, asking for recommendations ). But you know, before drafting a policy or something, atleast the system should be operational. I know, these policies should have been formulated before implementing this system in such a mission critical environment, but lack of expertise was shown by the consultants and project managers.

I am seriously looking forward for any recommendations on the issue , i.e. sqlserv.exe problem ( chewing up CPU resources) and any new tips for formulating my approach towards troubleshooting such problems.

Because, in the end, i am here to learn as i have already learnt so much from this community for long time now.

TheHorse13, thanx for the advice, i ll surely do that..
    looking forward for any further advice...

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I think Tiger may be right. ( as always )

Sounds like you have the hardware to support your SQL....although I am not sure what Dual Quads are...is that like XEON???

So...if your server has worms and spyware...I would format and reinstall if it were mine...restore data..cause I think that will clear up your issues.

Recommended by CERT...if a server has become compromised...no matter what type (UNIX, MS etc)...the only way to be sure of a stable machine...is a reinstall..specially if it is a mission critical server.

MLF