Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sql Server Problem?

Tigersgark, I dont think that this would be the case. Machine has experienced more load then that and evn at time no load, but it was fully functional. Morganlefay, there are no hardware issues, as it has been bearing more load then that.
    Panic, the application ddoes not have a means for checking its own processes.Ghostmachine, yes we do have auditing enabled nd we did onitored the logs. There was nothing in it other then usual SQL events.
    GONEin62nd, the scenario is very much similaar. But in our case, we do not have access to the team who actually developed those modules (vendor). I think that this might be one of the issues.
    mohaughn, probablly you are right that this sort of problem cannot be resolved in a forum environment. But it helped me a great deal when it comes to exploring the possibilites and tracing a problem.

Despite, no one talked about sniffing the network traffic on the SQL machine. how about that ??
    Thanks
    ommy

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Despite, no one talked about sniffing the network traffic on the SQL machine. how about that ??
    You say you have, and monitor, the logs and only valid SQL activity is going on. Since it is the SQL server process running at a high level and you have reloaded the box I can't see that sniffing would do you a lot of good. But then again, since you have no other route to go down at this point it certainly wouldn't hurt if only to cancel out another possibility.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

hmm...true TigerShark..this was the only possibility left in my mind. However your argument is valid as well. TigerShark, can you recommend me your personal favourite sniffing tool for both windows and *nix platform??

Thank you everyone for your intrest in the problem. This community certainly rocks.

Ommy

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I love my Ethereal.... It googles right to the top when you search for it by name. You'll need the WinPcap drivers but the Ethereal site points you to them. Be careful you only use the version of the WinPcap drivers recommended for the version of Ethereal you d/l. There are incompatibilities between certain versions.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I use Ethereal as well and it works great. I've only used it on Linux, so I can't vouch for the Windows version. If you want to get information about who is communicating with the box and what type of traffic there is, you could check out NTOP. NTOP doesn't, by default, dump the raw packet data, but it tracks coversations on the wire. That way, you can see actual TCP/IP sessions, including source and destination addresses, ports, protocol type, amount of data, etc. You need a little bit heftier box, mainly the NICs, for NTOP than you do for Ethereal. Good product still.