Thread: Intel Active management Technology...

Intel Active management Technology...

Intel Corporation today released details of the Intel Active Management Technology (Intel AMT) specification, a forthcoming platform-level technology inside Intel processors, chipsets and networking cards that will give IT managers more control and manageability over their networked computers while reducing costly on-site technical assistant visits and asset tracking

i am doing a technical search about it as part of a small uni project, but i got really really intrested about it... and i wanna know all about the details

here is the news link i first visited..
    http://www.presentationmaster.com/ar...e.jsp?id=31052

this is a link on the intel website.. that contains some detail and on the right good links to good long articles or PDFs..

http://www.intel.com/technology/manage/iamt/

so... since i study bizness computer... not computer engeneering i have some questions:

cross-platform: do they mean that it can work cell phones..pc ... server... and whatever OS..

even hard disk is down... well considering that 50% of hardware failure are from HDD... if a zone or sector is bad.. how will they do it...

and this one also Out-of-Band communication ...
    how will the exchange of info will happen ( i am good in networking.. u can explain it in all the terms u want ) ...and what about security...

i will be really thanksful if u help me understand one of the above.... gimme a link to a detailed technical paper... or just help

pleaze, don't wanna discuss the impact of the new tech and its security concerns.. that will come later....
    10x

26 views... no one replied to my topic...

is it that hard or difficult to know!! or to explain
    or u find it a dumb technology...

it think it is a really important that will affect the IT community a lot... that is why it is worth studying

so... will be happy if i get ur feedback about the tech itself, not how it works..
    would u be happy to use or paranoid...
    does it raise any security concerns ?

OK...................I guess no-one was really interested enough?

This is just marketing crap/hype.................the concept is as old as computers as we know them..........just look up "Tandon"..............all the rage in its time

Then the idea of the "computer within a computer"........I guess IBM, but I could be wrong?

This is old hat, Intel are just embedding it more..............so they can sell the ability to stop/spy on all you illegal downloaders out there?

/me goes to stock up on 486 processors and black powder

Ok...

First off, I am not replying so much on the topic, but to your grammer. You have brought forth a very good topic for what could be a very good discussion between educated experts. My flags were raised by your 7331 chat speak. We are a community of professionals. Use proper grammer, punctuation, and spelling... or at least an air of discipline.

This is my personal view of your post, I am not speaking for the whole community, but I am sure they will agree.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

well guys... don't wanna ruin the topic for this
    but i don't see bad grammar.

sorry...english is the 4th human language i learned...gimme a break
    and even though i don't see bad words, or bad grammar...
    tell me something so terribly wrong in my post
    maybe i use some common words...maybe sometimes i am too tired and some words slip
    there is one thing i can't help... the air of discipline...sorry for that!

i looked up Tandon... did not gimme any related topics
    Tandon + computer gave me nothing
    and nihil, u were talking about the same concepts...
    but i think it is about making stuff come true!(what IBM did previously?? )
    i am glad u don't know my uni, cuz i have to do this for new technology course ;P

maybe u are right about the media hype!
    i won't judge from now, before i know all the details

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ta...arch&hl=en&lr=

Should get you stuff on Tandon................they were around in the 1980's and made (very expensive) machines that virtually gave you 100% redundancy..........one machine duplicating the other, but both in the same box............they were very popular with banks and insurance companies at the time.

IBM sold mainframes .........3090/sierra? that had diagnostic PCs inside them that would even call in an IBM engineer before you realised that you had a problem

sorry...english is the 4th human language i learned
    What were the first three?

And Intel have sold out to the RIAA and Microsoft, and will enforce US laws in Asia due to the power of their chipsets

I may have been a bit vague, I will elaborate...

i am doing a technical search about it as part of a small uni project, but i got really really intrested about it... and i wanna know all about the details
    No caps. I marked the worst in bold; little or no punctuation.

this is a link on the intel website.. that contains some detail and on the right good links to good long articles or PDFs..
    Again no caps! I marked the worst in bold; little or no punctuation.

so... since i study bizness computer... not computer engeneering i have some questions:
    Ok, I have pointed out the caps in two paragraphs, I will not point to any more... Poor spelling, I understand this being your 4th language, did you pass the course? Typically, the use of the letter "Z" in place of the letter "S" is considered to be "underground warez" related, and will usually be treated by computer security types to warrant caution.

I will not go on any more as the rest of this post is riddled with clues that make you seem a "script kiddie" to me, even though I don't think you are, call it intuition.

I assume 10x means "Thanks"??

What were the other three launguages you learned first and where did you learn your English?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

It *might* be related to console redirection that many server-class motherboards support. But I don't know for sure since I've never heard of this Intel Active Management Tech stuff... Either way I don't like the sounds of it from a user's point of view, but an Admin might find this sort of thing useful.

Basically there are already many computers on the market (especially the server segment) where you can put a special wire (I think there are 6 pins, or it is the serial port) in them to more or less remotely manage everything via a console. (It is a feature programmed into the BIOS or somewhere, so it works even if a HDD fails, etc) Intel Active Management Technology might just take this and put it on Ethernet through TCP/IP, and let you control it over the network. Nothing innovative, just taking an old idea and "networking" it through the Internet/Ethernet and "encrypting" it to keep other people out. And probably charging money for the feature.

Cheers.