Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC stopped responding!

PC stopped responding!

My computer mysteriously stopped working yesterday when I installed a webcam. I installed the software, hooked the webcam with the computer and what happened that it asked me for reboot. I did so and now what I see is the main desktop but without any icons or stuff...I think it is the screen before the main desktop is loaded...

Anyone out there have any idea why is so? or what should I do to cure the error. The OS installed on the system was WIN XP...

Thanks in advance!
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

prob...

If your using xp you might be able to restor you computer to a point in the past when everythig work. some systems give you this option befor xp starts. If not start in safe mode uninstall you web cam and software and restart i am guessing that it is the last thing you installed that is causing the problem... this is where i would start
    why?

is explorer.exe running in task manager ?
    O.G at A.O

I did but nothing much happened...same story that it is not showing me the desktop and the error it is giving is that some file is missing so I have no operating system on my machine...
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    is explorer.exe running in task manager ?
    Yes

What error do you get, what exact file is missing ? Do you have a task bar or is everything missing, maybe u messed up your desktop properties and its hiding the icons.
    O.G at A.O

When I try to get in the command prompt it tells me that mkernel or something like that is missing...no task bar no nothing...if hidden how can i retrieve the icons and whole desktop then? but its giving me the OS error something like no OS found...

How would u get into ms-dos if u don't have a taskbar ?

mkernel ? are you sure you're running windows XP ? sounds like freeBSD lol.....

and come on, dont give u "or something like that" reboot the machine and give us some exact details on what the error says, we can't help u otherwise.
    O.G at A.O

If your missing the "taskbar" when you log on ... Then read this...

[1]

Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

[2] "mkernel" -- Maybe you mean "NTOSKRNL" ... Purely a guess ... Then read this ...
    NTOSKRNL Missing or Corrupt

And like copyright has said more details would help .. So before you post again just make sure that you take the time to provide as much info about the problem as you can ... If not we'll just be as clueless as you are ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

showing me the desktop and the error it is giving is that some file is missing so I have no operating system on my machine...
    OK GET A PEN.. Write the Error message down letter for letter.. You may need to be sure that the letters you think your writting are infact what is on the screen..

What is the WebCAm you've installed.. (Brand and Model.. )
    what are the applications you have installed with the camera...(name and Version)

HAVE YOU TRIED TO REBOOT THE PC WITH THE DEVICE DISCONNECTED??

Have you tried booting the system into Safe mode..? (Recommended earlier..) What was the result?, Were you booting into your account or the Admin account.. you did try the admin account as well didn't you?

And like copyright has said more details would help .. So before you post again just make sure that you take the time to provide as much info about the problem as you can ... If not we'll just be as clueless as you are ....
    i ahve clarified some of the details we are after.. Half answers and supositions will leave us as clueless as you are...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr