Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figures (Damn laptop LCD)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Angry Figures (Damn laptop LCD)

On Friday I finally put my order in on my new bike, $3K. This is quite a savings job and isn't financially restrictive but if I don't have anything go wrong I should be financially ahead in a few months.

Something went wrong (I hate you Murphy)

My LCD monitor on my Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook (4-5 years old) started to fail (this morning it officially is toast -- I can't see anything on the screen at all).

So now the hunt begins for a new LCD... and if I can't find that, then I'll have to start saving for a new Y2 or 73 model.

I really hate Murphy!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsM,

Go look in a mirror, and ask yourself "do I really need a laptop"

Well?....................I have survived without one, what did you do before you had one?

I had 17 desktops with removable hard drives.................one at each location

And "Murphy's" real name is Sod .....................SOD's law of buggeration?

Good luck,

OH...............regarding the stuff for that course.....shall I e-mail them to you? there are 16 or 17 zipped files about 1.2Mb in all?

Cheers

Exclamation

Before sending your LCD in for repair, check your Laptop is worth repairing, by connecting an external monitor and hitting Fn + internal external display key, (normally one of the F keys, remember to hold down Fn and the F key at the same time) this process will check the video, is sending an analog signal out to the external monitor which lets you know the system board is ok.
    Also check presence of FAINT digital data on blank displays. Example: when backlight is out or faint digital data is showing. If not present you may have a bad digital signal cable or digital video chip on the system board or maybe the LCD itself is just bad.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Go look in a mirror, and ask yourself "do I really need a laptop"
    Actually yes. I take it between locations that don't have a computer available for me.

Before sending your LCD in for repair, check your Laptop is worth repairing, by connecting an external monitor
    Already using an external 12". It'll be cheaper for me to repair it than get a new one ($500 to $3K)

Also check presence of FAINT digital data on blank displays. Example: when backlight is out or faint digital data is showing.
    There is a faint display but the screen is black for the most part.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

and here was I about to offer us$50 for a clapped out lappy.. to add to my collection of LCD's..

We had a sale (oops Merchandising) Rep in the other day.. Had one of the nice new Panasonic Tuff Books (Guess which Company.she was from..lol).. I asked her if they had a problem with these things.. discussed various sorts of things including the display issues .. Her Reply..?

"only Bloody Geeks like you trying to nick them.." I was hurt.. very hurt.. and to show I had no bad feelings I did give it back to her when she called back the next day.... very nice toy.. weak passwords.. ..

oh yeh MsM's lappy.. oh I could pay the freight..

BTW: Jokes aside.. Isnt it annoying how you plan for such a financial outlay.. budget is consulted.. some very slight changes made.. All is well plenty of safty margin.. then a major income goes legup, then a major appliance (car motor, Aircon, Freezer) curls up its toes and dies.. Next thing your account at Macca's is closed, and the Television is repossesed.. then the dog bites you when you come home.. and your on the street.. too poor to buy Metho so you cant even drown your sorrows....the most pathetic of the wineo's....the picture is complete..

I'll help you out MsM.. Don't kick the dog when it bites,, thats where I made my mistake..

..ooops side tracked again.. Yep repair.. certainly the cheaper option.. .. oh.. I joke about the offer for the Lappy.. I Kicked the dog yesterday..................................................
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Blast From the Past
    laptops are puzzeles....everything is screwed to another thing.... i should know... ive been inside my solo 9300 more times then i can count on 2 hands

if you have faint video... check the cable that connects the screen to the board....

you will be kicking yourself when you spend 500$ on a repair or new screen when it was a 5$ ribbon cable on ebay....

and if it comes down to it that you need a new laptop.... its often wiser to just buy a new one

you can easily replace a dead card in a desktop.... if you have a bad chip or something on a laptop....you are screwed....

hope this helps
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yes, it is definitly financially wiser to just get a new laptop. I'm actually surprised it's only 500 dollar repair job. Here in chicago it's a 1000 dollar repair job, but that's also for a 15'...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Yes, it is definitly financially wiser to just get a new laptop. I'm actually surprised it's only 500 dollar repair job. Here in chicago it's a 1000 dollar repair job, but that's also for a 15'...
    That's almost like saying to get a new car if the muffler needs to be repaired. The only way I'd consider getting a new laptop is if the whole LCD does, in fact, need to be replaced (which I'm told will come to around $600-1000). But if it's just the backlight, why replace the whole laptop with a new one if the repair is only a few hundred to replace a specific part?

This is a 14" LCD and the LCD itself seems fine.

Blast From the Past
    cheepest way.... hit up ebay....

solo 9300 laptops are no where close to yours... but same basic concept

if your LCD connects to a small board which connects to the main board.... try replacing that...

when i bought spare parts for my solo i had blacklight issues with one of thoes little boards.... and the LCD was perfectly fine

and if your laptop is older than P3 get a new one anyway.... i mean dang.... my grandma can process faster then some P2 lappys
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Bah, I did it again, I didn't fully understand the post before posting lol... If it's only the back light then yeh, get it fixed. For some reason I thought you meant like the screen was cracked down the middle or something... sorry about that, it's not the first time I have done that and it probably won't be the last
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools