Thread: 56K Modem

56K Modem

Hey everyone,

i was wondering if it is very hard to detect when programs use a modem and what they are transfering. I know some programming, like Liberty Basic (you've probably never heard of it), and im teaching myself C# (just started so i don't know very much). LB can use APIs, so it probably is capable of doing this.
    -Chris Lukas

Programming skills have nothing with what you are trying to do, anyway.
    I think you are trying to say what programs trying to gain an internet connections via your Modem .... Try a firewall .. it will prompet you with any program that wants to gain an internet connection ...

Helped?

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I already have a firewall, thanks.

I was wondering how to make a program using APIs, modem's DLLs, ISP program DLLs, etc. (im not sure what) to see all the files that are being sent through the modem.

does anyone know a possible way to do this?

I think you will need to learn to program the serial port since, for all intents and purposes, a modem is a serial port.
    This may not be what you really want, though. The idea of monitoring communications
    with the firewall may make more sense, since programs that are communicating
    are not accessing the modem directly, but pass their data down to the tcp/ip
    system. The modem is handled by an OS level driver. Back in MS-DOS, it was
    more likely you would (or could) monitor communications by talking
    directly to the modem, but today, I don't know. You might also check.

http://windump.polito.it/
    or
    http://www.ethereal.com/
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I probably want to learn to program the serial port because it is sending and recieving the files, but I don't know what type of info i would recieve from it. I don't really care about the information of the files, just what the type is, where they are from, etc...

Chris,

rcgreen is pretty much on target with this:

Back in MS-DOS, it was more likely you would (or could) monitor communications by talking
    directly to the modem, but today, I don't know
    You have NOT mentioned your operating system (naughty boy ) but if you want to do this with Windows you will need a box that boots Win98/98SE/ME (I recommend Win98SE).

Win 2000 and Win XP do not permit direct contact with the hardware. This is why a lot of those old DOS games won't work, because the first thing they try to do is check the sound card and video.

I am running XP, for any more info, check my profile.

Is there any way to get around this? Couldn't I 'talk' to the modem using Windows APIs? or doesn't it come with any for that? (which would mean i would have to use DOS to communicate with it, but i can't, at least not unless i could get around it)

port 80 is the modem port, correct? If i could communicate with that port i could probably read stuff it is sending in, right?

Hi, metguru

I don't think so..............I am not that well up on how it works, but I feel that you will not be able to address directly.

I could be wrong, of course