Thread: Help please - all Dreamweaver pros

Help please - all Dreamweaver pros

Hi,

I am using Dreamweaver for the first time, and I like it a lot, because it is much easier to use than Frontpage, but I have a small problem.

Try to picture this: I have a large table on the left, and next to that on the right are a pic and another smaller table. The small table and the pic equate to about the same length as the larger table. Now, I have been able to add a 5-pixel gap between the pic and the larger table by clicking on the pic and in the Properties window, put "5" in the "H Space" box. But, I just don't have a clue how to add a 5-pixel gap between the small table and the larger one. There is a pic included to show you what I mean (sorry blacked out some bits for sec reasons). I would really appreciate it if you could list how to add the gap step by step, because as I said before, I am a total n00b. Thanks in advance,

J_K9

create a 1 pixel gif with nothing in it (transparent) place where u want the gap and set its width to 5px

v_Ln

Thanks valhallen, but I tried it and for some weird reason (the pointer WAS in between the two tables) when I inserted the image, it just made the smaller table move down, creating a bigger gap between the pic and the small table, instead of a gap between the two tables. Am I putting it in the wrong place, or should I just try something else?

J_K9

dont place your pointer between the two tables as it will then place the image above the table (moving it down as you noticed) place the image in the smaller table next to whatever content you wish to move - perhaps even create an additional column and setting its width to 5px as well

so you are moving the content not the actual table - if you know what i mean?

v_Ln

Hi J_K9,

These don't answer your immediate question...( or maybe they do )...but I'm sure val's got that covered anyways...just thought they might come in handy at some point...

Macromedia Dreamweaver Free Courses/Tutorials

http://www.learnthat.com/courses/viewlets/dreamweaver/
    Macromedia Dreamweaver Free Online Training

http://www.indiawebdevelopers.com/ar...r_tutorial.asp
    Dreamweaver 4 Tutorial: Tips and Tricks

http://www.iboost.com/build/software...torial/786.htm
    Dreamweaver Tutorial

http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/
    Macromedia - Dreamweaver Support Center

Eg

Thumbs up

Thank you so much valhallen! Your method was simple yet effective! (Even though I did have to make the table again, becaus as I had merged all of the cells in a few rows, when I added a new column only the rows whose cells hadn't been merged were added it!). I'm overjoyed to be using Dreamweaver MX 2004 instead of that M$ Frontpage crap, which is completely and utterly useless (in my opinion). Thanks for all those links too Egaladeist! I'll definitely be using some of those tuts to polish up and expand my newly learnt skills! In fact, I'm doing one right now! Anyway, thanks for all your help guys.

J_K9

Sorry for double-posting but I just remembered something else I wanted to ask - how do I make everything that's on the site appear in the centre of the page/screen, instead of on the left, but look exactly the same as it does at the moment? It's o.k if it's gonna be too much of a hassle, but if it isn't then please reply.

You see, I already tried and it really screwed up. The small table, on Align "Center" goes to the middle of the page - good; the pic, on Align "Absolute Middle" stays in its place - bad; the larger table, on Align "Center", pushes all the other objects down and goes to the middle of the page with the smaller table and pic below it!! lolol.

Anyway, if there's any easy way to move everything from where it is on the left now to look exactly the same in the middle of the page, I would really appreciate a reply. Thanks again,

J_K9

select everything currently on your page and press ctrl+x (apple+x on mac) to cut it...it'll vanish dont worry is now stored on clipboard

insert a new table 1 row 1 column width = 100%
    set table align to center - paste your content you cut into new table

v_Ln