Intel dual-core chips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel dual-core chips

Intel dual-core chips

Intel dual-core chips set to ship

Intel dual-core chips set to ship
    By Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com
    Published on ZDNet News: April 15, 2005, 10:27 AM PT

A few PC makers will start selling PCs containing dual-core chips from Intel on Monday, three days ahead of the debut of the dual cores.

Dell, Alienware and a few others are preparing to take orders on Monday for PCs containing these chips, an Intel spokesman said. The companies will also be able to ship these PCs to customers. Although volumes of the Extreme Edition Pentium 4, code-named Smithfield, will initially be low, Intel will ship millions of dual-core chips by the end of the year, the spokesman said.

By the end of 2006, Intel expects that 70 percent of its server chips and 85 percent of its desktop and notebook chips will be dual core, the company has said.

Intel's pre-emptive strike will likely give it the right to claim being the first to ship dual-core x86 chips. Advanced Micro Devices is slated to release dual-core Opteron chips for servers and workstations on April 21. Hewlett-Packard, however, is currently taking preorders on dual-core Opteron servers.

Intel's dual-core release will come the day before the 40th anniversary of Moore's Law, the famed observation that the number of transistors on a chip can double every two years.

Continue reading here http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5672609.html
    Dual-core chips were said to be revolutionizing our computing experience and seen as the next big step in the evolution of x86 processors. Anything like this, two heads’ better than one.

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

Yup, two are much better than one. I know because my daily machine is a Dual CPU Workstation. There's only one app that has brought my machine to 90% CPU usage (both processors), and that is the multi-threaded NASA Worldwind application. Running it single vs dual CPU is like night and day. It cuts through everything else like a hot knife through butter. Hopefully dual core will share that in common with Dual CPU

Hello!

The Impact of Dual-Core Processors on Your Business and IT Strategy
    The flexibility, reliability and manageability of Intel processor-based platforms-including the advantages of dual-core and then multi-core processors-will help fuel transformative new business and IT usage models. The following may be helpful as you plan for change.

Explore Transformative Business Solutions—From real-time business interactions to automated asset tracking, the ability of technology to transform business is increasing. Many of these solutions will demand fast throughput for multiple, simultaneous transactions-a perfect fit for Intel dual-core processor-based platforms.

Take Advantage of Increasingly Flexible CPU Resources—In tandem with new virtualization capabilities, dual-core Intel processors will enable very granular allocation of processing power. Plan on using these capabilities to tailor and enhance service levels for multiple applications and complex workloads.

Work to Optimize Datacenter Efficiency—Server virtualization and consolidation, grid computing, and embedded IT capabilities are helping companies simplify their datacenters, improve utilization, and reduce total costs. Dual-core Intel processors will give IT more granular control to support these and other critical advances.
    These advantages could answer your needs specifically for

app that has brought my machine to 90% CPU usage (both processors)
    I had also tried using good old dual-processor of Intel (dual PIII 500MHz) in server side processing and it is really realiable in Multi-process like RAS SERVER serving dial-up clients (sort of our own version of mini-ISP).

A dual core processor is exactly what it sounds like. It is two processor cores on one die essentially like having a dual processor system in one processor. With the idea that dual-core will also support dual processors (which makes it 4x processing (in general way), well, it is much better to have 4x-core so on and so forth in 1 chip in a very near future. Especially when we both know that Intel and AMD are racing for it.

-GONE

an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho

Old Fart
    Heh....AMD is getting ready to ship their DUAL CORE 64 BIT chip in the coming weeks, hence Intel's decision to go ahead and release the dual core "D" series. I know this statement is gonna piss a few of you off, but at this point Intel is playing catch up and this old boy is loving it.

In The Race To Double Processor Performance, Is Intel Still Chasing Moore's Law? Or AMD?
    Read it and weep, Intel lovers!

Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me how XP sees this processor? Is it seen as a single or dual processor when looked at via task manager.

Thanks!

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

********** |ceWriterguy
    Old school thinking here from a business point of view (meaning I don't know for sure but this is my best guess):

I'm sure XP sees one processor only since it's the older tech. Since Intel and AMD both want their dual core processors to go into production and be sold asap, they'll have manufactured into the chip or drivers the 'ability' as it were to divide the tasks between the cores and have 'widened the pipeline' into the processor accordingly. It's a simple switch - if core 1 is busy, data goes to core 2, if both are busy, data goes back to ram. Least that's how I'd build the bloody thing - quite unlike the old 'processor/math coprocessor' machines from wayback where the coprocessor never got used.

With the advent of newer operating systems built especially for dual core processing I'm sure you'll see a much more efficient setup.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the theory but I really need someone who has a dual core box to do a ctrl-alt-del and tell me how the OS sees the processor.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hey Hoss~

Get real, no-one stupid enough to buy one would admit it?

Hey there Horse,

The OS just sees one processor, it sends its instructions down as normal. The processor has a Advanced Programmable Interface Controller (APIC) on it which is what breaks down the instructions into four threads and utilizes the extra "computing power"

Only 64 bit OS's can/will utilize the dual core functionality at the application level.

MY dual boot box is at work but from memory CTL ALT DEL only shows the graph for one CPU but the %age is lower than it would be on a single core box!

Was that what you wanted?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Yep

Thanks.