That's Just Wrong!

Thread: That's Just Wrong!

That's Just Wrong!

That's Just Wrong

Quality department employee has been on the job for several months when she calls IT because she can't log onto the central manufacturing system -- she can't recall her user ID. "The user ID is the last name and first initial of the employee," says support pilot fish. So what could be wrong? "Investigation reveals that the quality manager originally gave IT an incorrect spelling of her name," fish sighs, "and she couldn't remember the valid incorrect spelling!"

Yes You, @#$%!

Sysadmin pilot fish gets a wireless-enabled handheld computer with lots of cool features. "I find out how to use a voice recording as the alert tone when I'm paged, and record a message that says, 'Wake up, @#$%!' when I'm paged by the servers," fish reports. "And promptly forget about it. Until I'm in a meeting. And get paged." Red-faced fish can only mumble, "My server is paging me" -- and beat a hasty retreat.

Dang Dongle!

This expensive engineering software suite isn't used often, so pilot fish orders three concurrent-user licenses. They arrive with a license file and a single USB dongle. How do I use that for three users? fish asks vendor support. "You install that license on each user's computer," support guy says, "and they can pass the dongle around when they want to use the application. Whoever has the dongle can open up three instances of the program on their PC -- though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that."

But It Was Right Here

Pilot fish spends a day training a user on a newly installed program. But the next day, user calls to say she can't find it. "After some phone troubleshooting, I discovered there appeared to be no remnants of it anywhere on her PC," says fish. He drives to the site 20 minutes away and spots the problem when he walks in: User is working at a PC on the other side of the office. Sighs fish, "Much to my chagrin, I did not think to ask, 'Are you using the PC we trained on yesterday?' "

That's Why

User calls help desk: "The person across the hall got some new software, and I think I should have it, too." What software is it? asks pilot fish. User: "I don't know the name of it." Fish: Well, what does it do? User: "I don't know." Fish: What do you use it for? User: "I'm not sure." Fish: What's its purpose? Why exactly do you need it? User: "I don't know its purpose -- but I need it because she has it."
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Banned
    what is "pilot fish" ... i figure that's an admin but where did you get this expression?

literaly: A small slender marine fish (Naucrates ductor) that often swims in company with larger fishes, especially sharks and mantas.

They use this expression to refer to an admin or some one in the field, instead of mentioning names or positions .... I did not make this expression up... it is commonly used in the Computers World's Shark Tank

You can infer to whom they are refering from the context. easily.

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf

And thanks for your support

User calls sysadmin pilot fish: "I just printed an invoice copy and it won't stop printing, over and over and over," he says. "There must be a system problem. I close the application and they won't stop printing."
    Fish immediately uses his console to stop the printer -- and notices that there are 112 copies of the invoice in the spooler, waiting to be printed.

"I delete them and restart the printer," says fish. "Then I walk over to the user's desk."

There he spots the likely source of the problem: a stack of business cards, stuck right behind the F10 key on the keyboard.

"The application uses the F10 key to print the invoice," fish says. "User pushes key, cards press on key, invoice prints over and over and over.

"I remove the cards and tell him that is not a good place to keep them. He agrees.

"As I leave, he puts them back.

"I immediately leave for lunch."

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    literaly: A small slender marine fish (Naucrates ductor) that often swims in company with larger fishes
    You can infer to whom they are refering from the context. easily.
    I used to have a couple of these in one of my aquariums... Unfortunately, they don't do well in a confined space.....

Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides