Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Simple IP Question

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Angelic:

Yes, they do get it from DHCP. But the wierd thing is that in DHCP on my domain controller, these addresses don't show up. Nor do they in DNS.
    Sorry.... But just because your domain policy allows for DHCP doesn't mean that I can't connect to your network with a valid IP address... I just need to find an unused one to avoid those pesky "There has been an IP Address conflict" messages.

Check your reservations in case it's that JetDirect printer you put in a year ago or something similar. Then it's time to break out the Ethereal Tutorial, run it and see what you can see.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    Nmap scan it. You can usually tell what it is by the open ports. It listens to pings so chances are it'll scan nice and quick. If it doesn't scan nice and quick... hmmm...

You should know where your switches are. If they're managed you should be able to find out which port this machine is attached to. After that it's just a matter of following the cable

Oh! And bring a lart
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    lart's explained

LART's - because STUPID HURTS

heard it, but never really knew WHAT it was ................. Google IS your friend
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

If they're managed you should be able to find out which port this machine is attached to. After that it's just a matter of following the cable
    Oh, duh. And here I am again trying to swat a fly with a rocket launcher. As a good sounding excuse for myself though, this is the first time I've used a managed port, so I'm not used to thinking about this feature.

Turns out the two devices that were giving those IPs was a VPN unit and a BocaVision terminal. Mystery solved!

Just Another Geek
    I must be spoiled The only unmanaged one I ever use is the one at home
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.