Thread: IRC Channel

IRC Channel

I want to get a IRC channel for my website, Do I have to buy or is it freely available? Can anyone enlighten me l'lbit about it ? Thanks in advance.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hello linux1880,

first off, you would have to provide a bit more info of what exactly you want to do.....

Do you:

1 - Just want to have an IRC channel somewhere related to your website?

2 - Want a webinterface on your site to an IRC channel related to your website?

3 - Want your own IRC server which belongs just to your website?

For 1 - Just goto any large irc network, and register your nick and register a channel which is related to your website.

For 2 - You would have to find an irc server which would support your request in allowing to link a web interface to their server or 'go to point3'

For 3 - Goto google and look for IRC daemons if you want to run your own IRC server. Then you can also add a web interface to it.

Also, what OS are you running on the server, is the server yours, or do you just have webspace on someone else's server? DO you have root access? Give us some more info, and we can help you with more details.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Hi instronics,

No 3. is a perfect match.

First of all thank you very much for your reply. I am hosting website from hosting services (ie...I pay for hosting) I have ftp access and root access. I want to host ftp server. Will it be possible? Your basic guideline will be great help for me. Thanks in advance.

I think my webserver (from hosting service ) are using unix. I am running windows , I cannot find zip file to open and test in my home server, could anyone give me link for that, I would really appreceate it.

Linux1880: ask your provider or take a look at your contract if you can or cant "host" a irc server.
    Most of ISP doesnt like this kind of service and explicitally deny the usage of IRC on its contract.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    First off, cacosapo mentioned a very valid point.... check to make sure that its ok with your hosting provider.

Then, to get your own irc server (daemon), i do not wish to recomend any specific one, since the opinions on which one is good are very different. I dont recommend setting up an irc server on a windows machine (no, im not bashing windows here), which means, if you get an irc server for your linux hosting machine, you cannot set it up at home on your windows machine to have a look at. In addition... before running your own irc server, its very important that you understand the tcp/ip protocol, linux, security, and the irc protocol. IRC servers can be a security leak in many aspects if not setup properly.

You also mentioned ftp.... well, i advise you to NOT use ftp... how do you connect to your hosted server? Do you have shell access on that machine? If you dont have any sort of shell access (ssh,telnet) etc... then you yourself can NOT run the IRC server on it, since you need to compile it and edit its settings. FTP is very UNSECURE, since the connection between client and server are not encrypted. If there is an SSH server running, then you can use sftp, or other windows ssh-file-transfer clients to upload/download your files in a secure manner.

More information would be great for me to understand the exact setup of your situation.

One last thing here.... in general... do NOT setup the irc server as user ROOT. Do it with a normal user account. At no stage whatsoever is root access needed to setup an irc server. But clear the other issues out first. Setting up an irc server is not 'dificult', but maintaining it properly can be a b!tch some times, and can cost you the health of the machine hosting it.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"