Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packets in are 10x packets out

aside from a few things that are un-needed (but arent dangerous, like your tool bars) I dont see anything wrong. If you ran all the software we suggested in safemode and you got nothing found then your computer is clean. it could be a faulty nic card that is casuing tons of sent traffic. You were naming specific virii earlier so it means something caught it. if it found it than it probably got rid of it, if not look up the individual removal instructions and get rid of the stuff. Or take the easy way out and reformat. but you box looks clean from here.(but its not even 8am yet and I could have missed something)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

being that you are running windows xp, you might want to try the nifty 'repair' option built into that os. believe it or not, it actually works sometimes. there are times in xp, where the nic card will start going goofy /tcp/ip stack gets corrupt, etc.

under network connections, right click on your active connection. hit 'repair'. windows xp will reconfigure your card. your settings will be saved. it takes only a moment, and is pretty much hit or miss. i have seen instances where cards will just stop sending packets all together, but continue to receive. most of the time, this simple 'repair' function will set things back to normal. worth a shot at least.

I went and deleted all my rules on my firewall, and slowly went about allowing access. It seems the burst of stuff comes from IE. When I accessed IE to download firefox, the in side jumped up by alot. but now I'm using firefox, and the in side is acting normal again. If I stop using IE, will that be enough, or can I get future problems? And could IE be the problem?

I did the repair thing, and it didn't say if I had any problems or not.

Also, as an aside, as a very new person to this sort of things, are the tutorial pages we have listed a good place to start learning about protecting my comp, or is there somewhere better to start from. And I mean start from, as I have extremely basic knowledge of computers and security.

Thanks for the advice and help, I really appreciate it!

Using firefox is a temporary fix. It does not solve the problem, it is just a workaround. What kind of traffic are you seeing when you start IE. What Ip addresses is it trying to connect to? From there we can see if it is just a very good browser hijacker. or something. Also, what do you have your homepage set to? have you tried changing it? show us a sample of your firewall log file from when you start IE, perhpas some of us can make some sense of this issue. If using firfox stops the problem then it sounds like a browser hijacker, which is very bad news. especially since IE and windows explorer are running very close together.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Ok, so when I open IE, microsoft anti spyware says that an application change has been blocked, and spyware asks if i want to allow a change to a user specific browser toolbar(i say no). when i follow the microsoft warning, it leads me to a list of blocked IE browsers. the only thing on the list is:

c:\windows\system32\browseui.dll

anyhow, does that help? I can show on my firewall log the list of intrusions, but the last entry seems to be from april 15th
    does this help?

I am a bit lost with this problem...

The Complaint is: Incomming packets exceed Out going by a factor of 10 to 1? is that correct?
    that is YOU are RECIEVING MORE than your SENDING? right?

Or are you SENDING 10 times MOre than Your RECIEVING?

please clarify this for me..

The unfortunate thing is any incomming traffic that is blocked by the firewall IS counted as part of your total incomming traffic..

a list of blocked IE browsers.
    May be an idea if you could attach a copy of your firewall log (only of the times you have a problem with) and a copy of that list you mention.. I am wondering how many Different Browsers are Installed on your PC.. and how many are Misrocoft..

Browseui.dll is a legit Windows DLL.. DON'T BLOCK IT..

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/browseui/
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

"Packets in are 10x packets out"

"But now my packets out are 10 times my packets in, in my network connection status."

"When I accessed IE to download firefox, the in side jumped up by alot."
    Yeah it is a bit confusing.

Your last quote would explain why you had higher packets in than normal, you downloaded something, and it's quite a bit bigger than a webpage so the number of packets received are going to be significantly higher than the packets sent out to request the download.

If the second quote there is the right issue then the other people in this thread have already given you the same advice I could give you.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Sorry I was a bit unclear.

My info being received was ten times my info being sent. I know that I should get a spike from downloading something, but I initially noticed the problem because I was not downloading anything, and yet still the info coming into my comp was greater than the info it was sending.

Oh, and the list mentioned above, undertaker, wasn't quite a list. The only name listed was the browseui. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

And if you think it will help, I will get the list of intrusions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to copy the list straight away, so I need to manually copy it (thus my question of its usefulness). Thanks.

any incomming traffic that is blocked by the firewall IS counted as part of your total incomming traffic..
    OK.. I am getting the picture.. your reciving data while not activley downloading anything..

That is your NOT Viewing ANY WEB PAGES at all?
    or .. Your not flicking between pages at the time..

If it is the latter.. DO ANY of the pages contain advertising links.. and Could any of these be regularuly updated.. I have a Weather radar site as one of my Home pages it refreshes every 5 mins.. And if you notice a difference in this activity between IE and FF then what is Firfox blocking nativly that IE need to be Told to Block?

If your concerned about what is happening.. either learn how to use Netstat on XP or D/L and run TCPVIEW.. BUT YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO INTERPRET THE RESULTS..

Regarding the firewall log..:

I may warn that if it is posted in the open..it may contain information that could reveal your identity.. I would recommend either sending it as a PM to a member you trust or Password the ZIPPED FIle..(oh forgot you will need to Zip it if it isnt in a TXT format..)

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr