Thread: google: friend or foe

google: friend or foe

Google Inc. is experimenting with a new feature that enables the users of its online search engine to see all of their past search requests and results, creating a computer peephole that could prove as embarrassing as it is helpful...

But privacy rights expert Pam Dixon is worried the service will make it easier for mischief makers, snoops and perhaps even the government to get their hands on a user's entire search history.

Full Story
    i don't like it. i search to find something. when i find it i either bookmark it or read it on the spot.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm with you Tedob1.

"No your honor, I wasn't planning to rob the bank".

"Well, how do you explain all these searches about bank robberies".

fyi

I don't allow their desktop engine on my network because of it's cabpibility to index info across the network. i.e. Since the ap check person is in the finance group, they have access to a finance share. Within the share is the controler folder, which the ap person does not have rights. This user doesn't even know there is a folder named controler. But with the desktop engine. Now she does.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

it of course can be used for bad intentions as everything in this world

but i admit, my attitude toward google is starting to change
    maybe i will use it less frequently...

maybe it is now that they are letting us know that
    maybe already they keep a history for our searches!?
    who knows?

Honestly folks is all about free will. Google is not implementing this on the whole. It's only an option for their 'registered' users.

Not sure why folks always get their undies in a bunch over this kind of stuff. You do realize that if google wanted to track your searches, they could do it anyway, right?
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

Because the history feature requires an individual login, it could help Google better understand each user so it can customize its results to reflect a person's specific interests, said industry analyst Charlene Li of Forrester Research.
    I wonder if they'll start displaying ads on your customized page based on your interests?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

AOs Resident Troll
    Honestly folks is all about free will. Google is not implementing this on the whole. It's only an option for their 'registered' users.
    Excellent point!!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by Tachyon

Not sure why folks always get their undies in a bunch over this kind of stuff. You do realize that if google wanted to track your searches, they could do it anyway, right?
    Excellent points. It's not like the company is tying IP addresses to specific queries and then showing the public "this guy at 192.168.x.x was looking for 'Pamela Anderson riding donkey naked mask' ". There's actually another search engine that I can't recall the name of at the moment that uses that method of showing what the recent search queries are. I came across it a few years ago but I don't remember what it was (sorry). Also for those who are going to register and are REALLY worried that queries get tied to personal information just do what I do and put in fake info. I think my hotmail/gmail accounts are currently under the name Justin Timberlake or something to that effect.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

free will can be a good thing depending on the knowledge and understanding one has, consider when a naive user clicks on a link someone has sent to them or opens an email attachment and their computer is backdoored...is it the users fault for after all it was his/her choice to do so?

a database of preferances. IMHO someone WILL find a way to exploit this and only the trusting souls will get hurt.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

free will can be a good thing depending on the knowledge and understanding one has, consider when a naive user clicks on a link someone has sent to them or opens an email attachment and their computer is backdoored...is it the users fault for after all it was his/her choice to do so?
    yes...it is the users fault. In this day and age, if you have email then you should take the time to educate yourself about it. it is widley known that spam and virii are out that and running loose at a higher rate than ever, people should take the precausions. When we had that antrax scare a while back 911 couldnt keep people off their phones with false alarms becasue they were so affraid, people should have the same thought process about email. "I dont know who this is from, I wasnt expecting a "package"(attachment), I wont open it."

the point is, with everything there is good and bad. This program COULD be exploited and used for bad, but so could just about anything else in the world (hell I can use a pencil to stab somone but they arent illegal) you just have to risk analysis and ifugre out if the good out weighs the bad.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by Tedob1

a database of preferances. IMHO someone WILL find a way to exploit this and only the trusting souls will get hurt. [/B]
    *edit: Just realized Amazon keeps preferences on cookies, not a database. Ignore my ignorance please.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15