Thread: How to use Cygwin ?

How to use Cygwin ?

Greeting's

I am trying to run softeware on Cygwin. I am having problems with Nmap. I do get to the folder where I have unzipped Nmap but then when I type "Nmap" or the entire syntex of nmap (E.g. = nmap -sS -P0 -O 123.123.132.321) I get an error saying NMAP COMMAND NOT FOUND. I went to Nmap's site (www.insecure.org) but very little information is given on how to run Nmap on Cygwin system. Any help will be appriciated.

check your cygwin $PATH environment variable. like, "echo $PATH".

then copy nmap into one of those directories.

or, if the unzipped archive contains an nmap binary file, you need to tell cygwin that the binary is in your current directory with "./nmap".

alternatively, you can add the directory of nmap to your $PATH variable. but you probably don't what to do that.

if the zip archive doesn't contain a binary, you need to create one. check the docs for this.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Greeting's

Thank you (V)/\>< for your reply. Okay Ill simplify the situation or atleast provide you with more information.

I have installed Cygwin on the same drive as Nmap. when i start Cygwin it shows nothing but then I enter "cd <drive letter here>:\program files\nmap-3.81". To this command Cygwin changes to the directory where nmap is installed (too add here even when i "dir" i see all the nmap unzipped file's). But then when i enter nmap is says command not found.

Thanks for your help.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

when you start cygwin, you should be in your home directory. try typeing "pwd".

i'm assuming you "installed" the linux version in the Program Files directory.

what happened when you tried ./nmap in the directory where nmap is "installed".

is there even a binary in there?
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Greeting's

Bingo, right on target. works if i type ./nmap and the syntex. Thank you very much.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

no problem.

and remember that it would be easier to use if you copy nmap into a directory that is in your $PATH, because then you can execute it from any directory without having to put ./ in front if nmap.

Thanx for the info.... like (V)/\>< asked we have the same question and i know all of it were answered... i'm a newbie...u!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Mastershield, if you see a thread with a flashing date unless you have something really useful to add dont reply, its an old thread. welcome to AO and plz take a look at the FAQ.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted