Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN Setups

VPN Setups

Anyone here have any recommendations for vpn setups? I've been reading up on a few cIPe, PPTP, SSH & SSL VPNS. What do you find is the best for a small sized network. The main traffic that will be passing on this vpn would be backups from one server to another server. Both servers are on two different networks, but are internet accessible.

Thanks,
    PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Exclamation

For the small size network VPN's I set up, I prefer a site-to-site hardware based VPN endpoint routers over a software-to-software VPN solution. Hardware based VPN's are faster, easier to maintain but may not have as many features. I usually use a AES 128bit key with perfect secrecy forwarding.
    Setup parameters of the VPN, well, you can usually get advice from the software or hardware VPN manufacturer help/setup files.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Banned
    As far as what ZT3000 said, I have good experience w/ this product...

... http://www.watchguard.com/products/soho.asp ...

this is not a plug, it's just my experience

Thanks for the reply guys. That firebox sure looks sweet, I've gotta say. But for the price, I'd probably be better off getting a SOHO (small office/home office) type Cisco router.

Thanks,
    PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

You're going to run backups across the internet? Just curious of the amount of bandwidth you have at both locations and the amount of data you're going to be backing up. This fits the idea of an off-site backup, but it might be too much load for your pipes.

As far as VPN's go, if you're looking for an inexpensive device, I've used the Linksys VPN routers and they do a decent job for a hardware VPN. They're owned by cisco now which gives me a little bit of a fuzzy feeling, but they're still not 100% reliable and from time to time need to be power cycled to repair their confusion.

I am a new person. Any one say how to setup a VPN connection between two winxp terminals using IPSec. Please point any articles you found to be useful.

Originally posted here by zENGER
    You're going to run backups across the internet? Just curious of the amount of bandwidth you have at both locations and the amount of data you're going to be backing up. This fits the idea of an off-site backup, but it might be too much load for your pipes.

Where I work I'm pretty sure they run the backups across our WAN from one of our data centers to headquarters (where most of the servers reside). I think since its such a hefty push though they only run it on the weekends but I could be mistaken.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Well, I'm planning on doing weekly backups. They'll all be tar'ed and gzip'ed. Both servers are directly connected at 100Mbps. Current activity on the server probably utilizes only 5% bandwidth at most, so it's not going to be a real issue at the moment. And in the future when bandwidth utilization does go up, I can always use traffic shapping to specify the amount of bandwidth i want to use for certain protocols or ports. So for example, what I may do, is limit the incomming bandwidth on the receiving server down to 1-2Mbps , so that it doesn't hurt the rest of the traffic on the sending server.

PuRe

Now you've lost me. Originally you said you had two servers on different networks that were internet accessable. Now you're saying they're directly connected with a 100Mbs connection? If they're directly connected you don't need a VPN.

Originally posted here by zENGER
    Now you've lost me. Originally you said you had two servers on different networks that were internet accessable. Now you're saying they're directly connected with a 100Mbs connection? If they're directly connected you don't need a VPN.
    I think what he meant by that is that his two network connections are 100Mbs that connect to the internet and through that they connect to each other (if that makes sense).
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15