Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VPN Setups

Ok, I looked at the link you posted about "fastservers". Is this the location where you datacenter is collocated? If so, the listed text shows that the connection is dual OC-48's which each operate at 2.4gbs. This is much higher than your 100Mbs, which would answer my question. Is this a correct assumption?

If this is the case and your gear is collocated, you might have a problem getting a hardware VPN product into the mix. Software might end up being your only route. From the looks of things it looks like you don't own much of the infrastucture? Let us know how your stuff is currently configured.

Originally posted here by zENGER
    Ok, I looked at the link you posted about "fastservers". Is this the location where you datacenter is collocated? If so, the listed text shows that the connection is dual OC-48's which each operate at 2.4gbs. This is much higher than your 100Mbs, which would answer my question. Is this a correct assumption?

If this is the case and your gear is collocated, you might have a problem getting a hardware VPN product into the mix. Software might end up being your only route. From the looks of things it looks like you don't own much of the infrastucture? Let us know how your stuff is currently configured.
    Exactly. Which is the reason I was originally trying to look into a software based vpn. Because it's only going to be about once per week anyways, by only two servers.

A software based VPN recommendation would be nice.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Your original post said you had a small network, which a network with an OC-48 would be by no means considered... small. Anywayz, if your only goal is to create a tunnel for backups, I suggest something like stunnel. This is a very lightweight app that can create a secure tunnel between two sites. Of course this is not exactly a VPN, as a VPN isn't port specific, but it will still serve your purpose.

What operating sistems are on those servers?

If you have w2k servers (or other MS servers) then you don't need extra software. You already have what you need for setting VPN between servers...

If this is a case, I would sugest L2TP with IPSec enabled, because it offers better encryption and security than PPTP...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

I'm using CentOS and Red Hat Ent.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com