RIAA virus?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIAA virus?

Old Fart

RIAA virus?

It's called Nopir.B. It seems to be DVD copying software but in reality it tries to delete all the mp3 files from your hard drive. It all seems a wee bit too convienient to me.

Read about it here.
    or

Check out what Sophos has to say.

Call me paranoid (see sig) but I'd almost bet the farm that the RIAA is behind this one. If they're not, they'd probably be willing to pay the author's legal fees if he/she is ever caught.

/me imagines the thoughts of RIAA exec...
    "we tried lawsuits, we tried legislation....let's fuxor their hard drives and see if that works."

dirty bastards...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

not unlike m$ illegal media detection program for parents..listed all media as potentially copyrighted and suggested deletion
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Doesn't look like a virus to me in the sense that it doesn't make copies of itself without user intervention. Just kind of hides in places accessible to other filesharers and lets them do the dirty work. I'd place it in the same category as dialers and associated trojans.

I think if the RIAA and their gazillion dollars were behind it, they would have designed a better delivery method.

This was funny though...

The W32/Nopir-B worm, which appears to have originated in France,
    France. Go figure. There's a bloody french flag on it.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Looks like big companies are in this ... to eradicate the piracy aspect of music . Even if the software deletes any files using the recover software we can get all the files back.
    Sattaru
    sattaru

Banned
    i think if it was the RIAA they would go more widespread than just p2p networks. IRC would be targeted, its easy to find full albums via xdcc bots etc using ircspy.com
    i think its just another dumb kid thinking they are slick and cool for ruining peoples hard work (hence france comes to mind)

Hmmmm,

http://www.vbfrance.com/auteurdetail.aspx?ID=264139

Not exactly a "kid"?

Over here (UK) a lot of file sharing of music goes on in "newsgroups" or "bulletin boards" rather than P2P.

That is probably due to the pricing structure for internet connection. Unless you have a broadband or unlimited dial-up account you tend to have to pay your telco by the minute, so a lot of people want to download at night when the rates are cheap.

In a recent development, our version of the RIAA have started to go after 32 people for uploading copyright materials. This is a new development, as previously they were only interested in piracy (selling counterfeit copies)

I personally doubt if the RIAA are in anyway involved. However it might start to give them ideas.

I find it a bit strange though, as most people I know who download music copy it to CD/DVD to free up hard drive space. This would suggest that there are limited targets available.

The people who put up large quantities of files are hardly likely to mess around with some unknown "cracking" software? I would expect them to already have all that stuff? And this looks like a straight trojan, rather than a virus or worm?

I am at a loss to see what has motivated the guy

I am at a loss to see what has motivated the guy
    Short dick syndrome.

Others might call it the Napoleon complex.

Freud would call id a conflict between the id and the superego's ability to regulate it.

Any way you look cat it, he feels inadequate, and sees the release of this virus as a means to make himself more relevant. He can then see the effect of his actions and confirm to himself that he exists.

So far as we are human, what we do must be either evil or good:
    so far as we do evil or good, we are human: and it is better,
    in a paradoxical way, to do evil than to do nothing: at least we exist.

-- T.S. Eliot
    And I guess my french isn't as rusty as I thought it is.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    Time for backup! If all of my music was deleted I think I might kill myself. All those hours slaving over a 56k connection, wasted. Ugh, this guy should be strung up by his 2 best freinds, if he has any.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

wat is the RIAA??
    has sum1 made sum protection against it r shud i stop downloading?? hehe

I'm sure they'd love to be behind it but they're not stupid. They're not going to risk fines or jail. Although I'm sure they're laughing their asses off.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn