Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox VS Computer

Xbox VS Computer

All the gamers out there I have a question:

How come.... OK my cousin has an Xbox with Doom 3, he says that he can play it and it doesn't lag and doesn't load anything and it's on high graphics, yet my 128 MB Nvidia GeForce FX card, on a medium graphics setting in Doom 3, lags a bit.

It makes game play kind of hard, but how in the hell is an Xbox better? What kind of video do they have stuffed in there? Or is he just lying his ass to me so I feel shitty about it?

I don't have or want an Xbox. But I would like some information on how this is even possible with something that costs about the same price as my video card. Comments?

Is it that Xbox maybe has a smaller screen reolution and lower graphics quality?

I would think a computer would be able to whip a hole into an Xbox.... Nvidia has a new card coming out and it's hard to think something like that would be lesser quality than an Xbox.

Is it that Xbox maybe has a smaller screen reolution and lower graphics quality?
    There is your answer.. The X-Box outputs at the Local TV Resolution approx 480x320 While your PC is probably attempting a miserly 1024x768.. a massive difference in pixels to address..
    also the X-Box is both hardware and software optomised for games (Duh - added for the looken peepers)..

best quick guide.. is that the info your looking for..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    X-Box games are console games, and are a 'lesser' quality game. [IMHO]
    there are a number of games that have been 'ported' from console to PC, and the result is always a poor quality game for the PC.

It's why when I'm considering a new game, I check it is a PC designed game, or at the very least, that the media have given it a thumbs up for the game-play.

HTH
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    I'm playing Doom3 on XBox right now... game play is fantastic (I've never seen an XBox lag on anything, btw). I've never seen Doom3 on the PC, so I can't compare the graphics quality... no computer beats a 60-inch flat screen, though

Hi Gore,

Yes the PC is designed to be a PC and the X-Box to be a game console. It is possibly more astounding that they can almost do the same things?

Because of the TV resolution, the X-Box seems to do well, but please remember that a lot of this is perception, not empirical measurement. Mostly you watch sport/news or whatever on TV.............it is scanning at 625 lines or whatever in your country.............there are atmospherics, shadows from tall structures etc. In other words the reception is pretty crap. Then you attach an X-Box and it compares brilliantly.

Try comparing them using a good quality DVD...............then run that DVD on your PC and on a TV with a similar screen size.

A PC with a decent graphics card will win

Basically the X-Box is not having to do as much work...............it is only driving a TV..............?

Another test.............hook up the TV to the PC and compare results

Anyways, would you want to do CAD or photo editing on an X-Box?

It is "horses for courses mate, plus the fact that you really do need a side by side direct comparison.

Cheers

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    a 60-inch flat screen
    Jeez :
    That's not a TV .........

That's a DOOR
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

no computer beats a 60-inch flat screen, though
    Bastard....

Eyeing off a 42" Plasma.. just right for HL-2.. .. but Mrs Undies has a problem with PC's outside my Lab.. gotta boost the range of the cordless kbd and mouse..oh and a remote "****it"button (we are talking windaz)

BTW: many of the HD screens are only capable of 1280 x 768 yet to see (in OZ) specs above this. Seeing as this corresponds with the 720p (why would you want 1080i - or only 540 vertical lines of resolution)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

1. 640x480 reso
    2. Graphics programing is SPECIFICALLY designed for the xbox proccesor and GPU, so the code flies compared to the HUGE amounts of graphics programming that you're card has to sift through, as the code has to be generalized enough that all supported cards work.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I was thinking somewhere along these lines but explaining that to him is damn near impossible. So I guess I should save up some cash, grab that Nvidia GeForce FX 6800 Ultra, and show him. Thanks everyone for explaining this, I don't have an X Box, heh.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Undertaker, IMHO I would buy a 42 inch LCD over a plasma... Safer investment ... I'm sure your aware of all the complaints about plasma... Just thought I'd warn ya incase you hadn't
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools