Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RDC and Macs

RDC and Macs

So, on the front end, I am NOT Mac illiterate at all.

We have one employee who purchased a new OSX Mac laptop, and we're trying to get it to remote connect to our W2k terminal servers via RDC that MS has available for download for Macs. This worked for a while, but now I get this message when I try to connect to our server now:

Either remote connections are not enabled, the maximum number of connections was exceeded, or a network error occured.
    Any other computer can connect just fine without this error, so it's only a problem with the Mac.

So any clue what to do with this? Is there perhaps a registry entry I need to tweak?

quote:
    Either remote connections are not enabled, the maximum number of connections was exceeded, or a network error occured.

Well, since you can connect with another machine, remote connections are available, and the maximum number of connections is not exceeded. This leads to a network error. Can the laptop ping the machine that its trying to connect to?

Is there a way to ping a machine from a mac without downloading a special tool?

I know, stupid question, but I am all but totally Mac illiterate.

Open up a terminal and type ping and the IP. I don't recall the exact way to do it though.

Ok, I got it now. Pinging the server is working just fine.

Are you trying to connect to the TS via the IP or the name?

Is it really TS, or is it Win2k Server with RDP enabled for admin purposes?

Has anything changed in your setup?

Is this MAC on the local network and are there any special devices between the machine and the server?

Are you trying to connect to the TS via the IP or the name?
    Tried it both ways.

Is it really TS, or is it Win2k Server with RDP enabled for admin purposes?
    It's really TS.

Has anything changed in your setup?
    Not that I'm aware of at least.

Is this MAC on the local network and are there any special devices between the machine and the server?
    It's connected to the LAN wirelessly.

Did the user happen to install some type of firewall or something? I've had problems with RDP and host-based firewalls before. That would be the next line I would take in resolving this issue.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Has the server been patched or updated from the time it worked to the time it didn't? When I used to be on Mac I'd run into weird little glitches due to "fixes" done on Windows servers (worst one prevented connection to Secure-SMTP on an Exchange box).

You can run a packet sniffer on Mac (tcpdump should be there and you should be able to fire up Ethereal). It might be worthwhile to see what's being sent, if anything, to and from the OS X box.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Did the user happen to install some type of firewall or something?
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'll inquire about it.

Has the server been patched or updated from the time it worked to the time it didn't?
    No new patches since then.

Could it be the server thinks there's a licensing issue? That's what I've suspected, which is why I was thinking perhaps a registry change somewhere would refresh it and allow it to connect.