Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadband -> DSL

Broadband -> DSL

I have been called over and commissioned by the all mighty powers that be (Mama and Papa) to set up and install Verizon DSL on their home computer network from RoadRunner (Broadband).

When they first got Road Runner last year, I set it up so that their email from Road Runners site POP3's into Outlook express to facilitate the email process for them (they both have trouble just logging into an email account )

They have just gotten DirectTV and they also chose Verizon DSL for their 2 box home network.

Before installing DSL and cancelling Broadband is it absolutely neccessary to back up all the email in Outlook express? or After DSL is installed and I configure the POP3 server so that their email from the verizon email goes to OE, will those emails be compiled and combined into their respective accounts along with the old emails POPed from RoadRunner?

Did I word that Question OK?

What I meant was - will the existing accounts in OE retain the old email data and then just continue to also collect from the Verizon emails and add these into the existing accounts along with the already existing email data?

All my knowledge and 'cyber-sense' tells me that it will and all will be alright.
    But the same 'cyber-sense' tells me that there is no Affirmation like Confirmation.

Also - if anyone has any other advice, warnings or precautions for me to insure a smooth transition - Im smart enough to know that Im not smart enough to think of everything, haha - they would be more than welcome ........

Thanks, again all.
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

Ok if the e-mail address change, the e-mail will not be transferred since the ee-mail is stored on their server, when you cnhange to DSL you'll get new empty space

right ? somebody better confirm this, but this seems logical to me.
    O.G at A.O

See Copyright I thought that it was the other way around .........

This was exactly my concern, and I need confirmation too because I thought that anything that was already POPed to OE was stored on Microsofts server and was safe from a change over, because it has already been transmitted and stored with OE.

But like you, I need either confirmed confirmation of this or confirmed contradiction of this (or something like that )
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

Banned
    Once you cancel the RoadRunner contract, you won't be able to use the RoadRunner POP server anymore. That's got nothing to do with the messages already stored in OE, though - they'll stay there, and there's no need to back them up before setting up the new Verizon account.

You sound pretty confident about that, Neg, thats what I was thinking but wasn't absolute about.......... I'll take that as confirmed confirmation

I thought that anything that was already POPed to OE was stored on Microsofts server
    No, it is actually on your local hard drive which is why it is safe.

Make sure that you download everything that is in the old supplier's server.

I would run them in parallel for a month and forward mail from the old server to the new one.

Get your parents to e-mail their change of address to their contact list etc..............do this from the new e-mail provider and make it easy for the recipients to update their adress books

Even though it is POP3, a lot of providers have their own e-mail client which works like OE but leaves the mail on the server NOT your local machine................check that there isn't any of that.

Once you configure a new Outlook account for them, they will need to open up the old account if they need any previous emails. You could solve that possibly by copying all the emails from one account to the other. I'm not too familiar with Outlook, though.

But as stated, the emails are safe; they won't disappear, they just may take a few more clicks to retrieve.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I thought that anything that was already POPed to OE was stored on Microsofts server
    No, it is actually on your local hard drive which is why it is safe.
    Nihil - would you be so kind as to point me to where on the HD they are stored, please - seems like something (like everything else) worth knowing.

Hrmmm... I don't use Outlook but I have done some forensics work with it.

The emails should be stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" or "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"

Look for the .PST files, I think. Those should be the files with all the emails in them. If the above two folders don't have them, then search the "Documents and Settings" directory for *.PST files, and you should find what you're looking for.

Under Windows 2000, the emails may be stored in the Administrator directory off C:\Documents and Settings if individual accounts have not been made.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Outlook express doesn't use a PST file normally, regular outlook does. What you'd be looking for would be a DBX file if I remember correctly.